Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rust-Written GUI Toolkit Slint 1.3 Brings Initial Android Port, Native Styles On Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust-Written GUI Toolkit Slint 1.3 Brings Initial Android Port, Native Styles On Windows

Phoronix: Rust-Written GUI Toolkit Slint 1.3 Brings Initial Android Port, Native Styles On Windows

Slint as a reminder is a Rust-written open-source graphical toolkit that on Linux uses Qt currently underneath. Slint has been making good progress on its goals and today marks the availability of Slint 1.3...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was actually ready to read about another project that wants to rewrite to Rust. Jokes aside, this seems neat (out of my expertise though).

Comment

I know the purpose really is to showcase what the toolkit can do but there is a special place in hell for people using rotating dials in their GUI applications. I understand people are used to physical things but it makes as much sense to use that with a mouse as Libreoffice/Word/Pdf-reader to require a swish of the mouse to "turn a page"... Or GDM requiring a "key rotation" with the mouse to unlock a user session. It's very good UX in the physical world but it's never been on a computer.

Comment

Originally posted by User42 View Post
        I know the purpose really is to showcase what the toolkit can do but there is a special place in hell for people using rotating dials in their GUI applications. I understand people are used to physical things but it makes as much sense to use that with a mouse as Libreoffice/Word/Pdf-reader to require a swish of the mouse to "turn a page"... Or GDM requiring a "key rotation" with the mouse to unlock a user session. It's very good UX in the physical world but it's never been on a computer.
        That was pretty much exactly my first thought too! As a once in a while flight sim guy who likes to start the airplane from scratch I can tell you knob based anything does NOT translate to anything that should ever be used in a computer UI.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
          I was actually ready to read about another project that wants to rewrite to Rust. Jokes aside, this seems neat (out of my expertise though).
          If you read carefully, very, very few things have been rewritten to Rust. Most of the time it's just new projects that chose Rust over C. Even coreutils that says about itself that it's a rewrite, is just a new project trying to duplicate GNU coreutils. Meanwhile, GNU coreutils is still alive and well.
          Many times when developers choose to implement something that already exists, they do it to test their own Rust prowess. Or to test whether Rust is feasible for a particular type of apps. There is no hostile "you must throw away the C implementation and come up with a Rust equivalent" mandate, as some haters would have you believe.

Comment

Android support is pretty big for me, it's something i've been waiting on for quite a while now. so cheers. Slint is absurdly easy to write UIs for, pretty limiting for now, It won't be replacing flutter for complex apps, but I think it has a lot of potential.

Comment

Originally posted by User42 View Post
              Those toggles that have replaced checkboxes are painful to use, too. Depending on the theme you apply to them, it can be pretty hard to tell whether they're in the on or off position.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Those toggles that have replaced checkboxes are painful to use, too. Depending on the theme you apply to them, it can be pretty hard to tell whether they're in the on or off position.
                *nod* I'm honestly curious about the path they took to popularity.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

*nod* I'm honestly curious about the path they took to popularity.
                  I personally prefer the slide toggles. usually it's a matter of "just use a good theme" which isnt hard since android's material guidelines are quite good and people respect them quite well.

Comment

Sint is... (you guessed it!)... fat *bindings* against the Qt library.

Amazingly it also drags in more dependencies (NPM-style) than Qt itself utilizes.

Comment

Working...
                    X