Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft Gets OpenGL 4.4 Running Atop Direct3D 12 Using Mesa, OpenGL 4.5 Inbound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Gets OpenGL 4.4 Running Atop Direct3D 12 Using Mesa, OpenGL 4.5 Inbound

Phoronix: Microsoft Gets OpenGL 4.4 Running Atop Direct3D 12 Using Mesa, OpenGL 4.5 Inbound

It was just last week that Microsoft got OpenGL 4.3 implemented over Direct3D 12 for use in cases where Windows lacks a native OpenGL driver or for use under Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSLg). After implementing a few more GL extensions atop D3D12, Microsoft has now got OpenGL 4.4 in Mesa running on Direct3D...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile, Dozen is still Vulkan 1.0

Comment

I don't get why this crap is so active, Trojan Horse and everyone sucks Microsoft 's ass. Does it taste good? It seems too many FOSS traitors love their insides...

Comment

Still prefering native Linux on hardware.

Comment

Is there any hardware, that doesn't support OGL but DX12?

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
            Any WoA devices

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              I don't get why this crap is so active, Trojan Horse and everyone sucks Microsoft 's ass. Does it taste good? It seems too many FOSS traitors love their insides...
              Lots of people have playing games as their sole priority. Whether it is Microsoft Windows or Valve's Steam DRM platform, people seem to be less interested in open-source and more interested in playing their games. Each to their own I suppose. I personally found jumping off the gamer treadmill to be liberating.
              Last edited by kpedersen; 14 November 2023, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                Because there are a lot of professional use-cases where Linux doesn't work, like anything graphical arts due to lack of HDR and ease-of-use around color management. For people like that where some Linux tool is just step 5 in a process because the Linux equivalent tools don't exist, it's much easier to just use WSL2 and go on with your day than it is to reboot into Linux, switch to a 2nd PC, sent it to a Linux server, etc.

If Microsoft making dual booting unnecessary pisses you off then start up some KDE bounties or donate to GNOME and then go pester AMD to get them to infiltrate Wayland to update the protocols with AMD's open source technologies because Microsoft's edge anymore is basically the ease of use and how desktop works combined with how the graphics stack interacts with the window manager...color management, scaling, frame rates, font rendering, and all that nitty gritty.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                  instead of that, lets ask, is there any hardware that doesn't have good OGL support but does DX12, and the answer is every single moderately up to date AMD gpu. OGL is a non stop headache, Im actually looking forward to the day when I can package glond3d12 or zink for windows users.

Comment

It's cool dealing with open standards, isn't it you fuc* bast*? Microsoft ❤️ Linux

Comment

Working...
                    X