Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open-Source NVIDIA "NVK" Driver Is Now Conformant For Vulkan 1.0

Phoronix: Open-Source NVIDIA "NVK" Driver Is Now Conformant For Vulkan 1.0

Mesa's NVK Vulkan driver atop the Nouveau DRM kernel driver is now officially Vulkan 1.0 conformant for passing all the necessary Vulkan 1.0 conformance test suite cases. Though don't get your hopes too high for this open-source NVIDIA Linux driver as the performance is still overall slow and the driver stack remains a work-in-progress, but at least it's a step in the right direction...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"software in the public interest"
    hmm.. does Debian have anything to do with this driver?

Comment

Originally posted by nickbailuc View Post
      "software in the public interest"
      hmm.. does Debian have anything to do with this driver?
      FreeDesktop.org / Mesa is a member of Software in the Public Interest (SPI), just as Debian and various other open-source projects are.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I wonder how much of that is actually implemented in hardware, and how much of that is compliance fallback.

Performance tests are needed.

Comment

Originally posted by ddriver View Post
          I wonder how much of that is actually implemented in hardware, and how much of that is compliance fallback.

Performance tests are needed.
          Nothing in this statement makes sense. NVK doesn't implement the hardware, so the same amount of stuff the NVIDIA driver implements in hardware, this implements in hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post

Nothing in this statement makes sense. NVK doesn't implement the hardware, so the same amount of stuff the NVIDIA driver implements in hardware, this implements in hardware.
            Vulkan drivers can fall back to a CPU path for things that are either not supported in the hardware it runs on or if that function is not yet implemented in the driver.
            That's for example how the Vulkan Driver on the Raspi gets good compliance, many things are done on the CPU.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

Vulkan drivers can fall back to a CPU path for things that are either not supported in the hardware it runs on or if that function is not yet implemented in the driver.
              That's for example how the Vulkan Driver on the Raspi gets good compliance, many things are done on the CPU.
              Not really, you can't fallback to software for that much, definitely not for anything that has to work in real applications, I doubt even the rpi does things as badly as you think. You also don't fallback to software for things the hardware can do, that would be a lot of extra work and mostly pointless.

Comment

I wonder what the status of hardware video acceleration on nvidia gpus with nouveau is.
                Last edited by RejectModernity; 21 November 2023, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by airlied View Post

Nothing in this statement makes sense. NVK doesn't implement the hardware, [...].
                  Maybe, it does not make sense to you. But the question given perfectly makes the sense to me. Anyway, I agree with you that you probably do not want to emulate too many things on CPU for performance reasons and for NVK and Nvidia hardware it is probably true underscored two times.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post

If anything that mattered wasn't implemented in hardware, nvidia's drivers would suck too.

Comment

Working...
                    X