System76 Stuffing More Features Into COSMIC Desktop Ahead Of The Holidays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Stuffing More Features Into COSMIC Desktop Ahead Of The Holidays

Phoronix: System76 Stuffing More Features Into COSMIC Desktop Ahead Of The Holidays

The crew at System76 published a US Thanksgiving themed status update to their work on the open-source, Rust-written COSMIC desktop environment that will soon be powering their in-house Pop!_OS Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

These are the most promising new Linux desktop options to me.

1. COSMIC Epoch (Rust written, not yet fully usable)
    2. LXQt (usable right now, made good improvements, a slimmed down KDE, may have the lowest resource requirements of all modern Linux desktop options)

For now I'm happy with KDE though.

Comment

Originally posted by rafanelli View Post

2. LXQt (usable right now, made good improvements, a slimmed down KDE, may have the lowest resource requirements of all modern Linux desktop options)

LXQt would be more accurately described as being a Qt port of LXDE (that for the sake of simplicity decided to depend on a couple of kde frameworks libs)

Comment

You had me at "custom theming support".

Comment

Originally posted by fallingcats View Post

LXQt would be more accurately described as being a Qt port of LXDE (that for the sake of simplicity decided to depend on a couple of kde frameworks libs)
          Also good.

I remember it like: XFCE as a slimmed down Gnome (used from Gnome libs like GTK), which, iirc, uses ballpark the same resources as a KDE without desktop search. And LXQt as a slimmed down KDE, thus with the potential to be a modern yet super low resource desktop env (nimbly running circles around XFCE).

Comment

I use KDE (kubuntu) on my laptop and its awesome... I used to use it on my desktop, but in the last 6 months or so... multi-monitor completely imploded on it for some reason and I havent had time to figure it out. Basically it will detect both displays, but when I try to activate the main one it says that "A display output has been removed, resetting" and it goes back to disabled. When I log into Gnome, there are absolutely no issues. Its very bizarre!

Wrt to the topic at hand, I am really interested in the next iteration of Pop_OS and am really looking forward to trying COSMIC on it!

Comment

cant wait till 24.04 will be released.

Comment

When new windows are opened, each new window will open near the center of the screen and offset by one or multiple units from the previous window
                not that I have a better idea in mind, but this doesn't sound very good...

Comment

2. How is LXQt a slimmed-down KDE? It's vastly different. For a slimmed-down KDE, LiquidShell would be a fair comparison.

Comment

Great progress You can feel they care about details that matter once again. That may not seem important for some but that is.

Can't wait to see the first signs of cosmic-file and cosmic-terminal !
                    I believe cosmic-edit is used as a beta testing platform. Once main bugs are squished, other apps will launch with a solid foundation.

Comment

Working...
                    X