Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Developing New xwayland-run & wlheadless-run Utilities

Phoronix: Red Hat Developing New xwayland-run & wlheadless-run Utilities

As part of Red Hat's plans to avoid shipping the X.Org Server in RHEL10, Olivier Fourdan of Red Hat's graphics team announced their work on a new xwayland-run helper utility along with wlheadless-run and xwfb-run utilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is this a way to simulate Xorg by using rootful Xwayland?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      I imagine it would be if you can use it to launch something like xwayland-run openbox-session inside a Kiosk-oriented (i.e. single full-screen window) Wayland compositor.

Comment

There was a project called Xweston which did this.

Comment

I was just catching up on his blog last night, and that's definitely his intent. He's discussing a few changes for HiDPI support in Xwayland in various merge requests, so development is still ongoing, but this would really be great and help run Xfce and other small window managers/environments transparently (that's the goal anyway). The only real question is whether you'd _also_ be able to have the X11 WM manage Wayland windows, that could be possible but would require some more work. But it's very interesting for sure.

Comment

There are a lot of X.org extensions, some 40 years after their first usage but maybe still somehow used. Maybe needed their update and also some documentation and if it is already such foundation for its usage and propagation, then new programmers are awaiting but study 50 years old code is maybe problem and for some games like in SDL lib in various languages(although abandoned some healthy common libs patterns are maybe needed when there is also a lot of graphic and audio progress on Linux because Linux is a lot of behind...

If I were a game programmer, I have a lot of options, but also I need tools for that and game industry is not alone on this world... Some graphic stack in the background but also maybe inside something as using graphic stack as a tool and then some xorg extension is flashback from time when people were not walking in this world...

Comment

Our local X defender will chime in in how this is also not good enough and we must keep X forever in 3,2,1...

Comment

I hope they are ready for the flood of nvidia related bug reports.

Comment

I'm happy that actual effort is made to fill the gaps omitting Xorg leaves behind.

Comment

Originally posted by direc85 View Post
                    I'm happy that actual effort is made to fill the gaps omitting Xorg leaves behind.
                    Same, though it's rather funny how in 15 years of Wayland the situation has gone from Xorg to Xorg behind a Wayland layer because actually replacing Xorg feature for feature, use for use, is difficult.

No, I'm not gonna make an EEE comment. Adding your window manager is like 30 lines of Python.

Comment

Working...
                    X