Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flowblade 2.12 Video Editor Brings Faster Proxy Rendering, Continued GTK4 Porting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowblade 2.12 Video Editor Brings Faster Proxy Rendering, Continued GTK4 Porting

Phoronix: Flowblade 2.12 Video Editor Brings Faster Proxy Rendering, Continued GTK4 Porting

Flowblade 2.12 is now available as this multi-track, non-linear video editor for Linux systems. Shotcut as another open-source video editor also recently put out a new version too...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

flowblade is ok when I last tried it, but I doubt I will ever leave olive. It is simply far to easy to use and powerful for what it is, I would love to see olive dev get proper funding for the work so it can be taken to the next level. Being able to use ocio config stuff is simply too nice

Comment

I had to use a non-linear video editor for work in the sometime recent past. We had a graduation ceremony where the people streaming live didn't show the people on the live stream, just slides, and someone missed out on seeing their grandson or granddaughter get their diploma. But there was a video feed for this. I got the two video feeds involved and got to work. I had never used these before. I fast-tracked learning with all the main open source ones out there. Cannot even remember which I used to create the final product, but worked out. I cannot say I did the best of jobs (learned after the fact some best practices), but made that person's day that she could watch it and see the proper thing with real people!

Comment

I just tried it, let's just say that Magix has nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
          I just tried it, let's just say that Magix has nothing to worry about.
          yeah, the only foss editor worth half a damn IMO is olive. it's struggles since it's early on (sadly the dev doesn't have the money to continue working on it so it's in kind of an indefinite hiatus until he does.) but it has really solid foundation, Fully, properly color managed pipeline using OCIO, This means you get industry standard aces support, camera transforms etc. Node based effects creation which is gpu accelerated (OGL for now, dev wishes to find time to port to vulkan though). NO OCL/Cuda BS, so it is truly cross platform. Supports timeline caching in EXR for full or half float caching suitable for real color work. It's fast and really easy to get a hold of too.

Like I said it is on hiatus, However it is pending finances, so I will shill it until I can't anymore

Comment

I've had good luck with kdenlive for the past 15 years. Since it's what I normally use, I thus compare all other video editors to kdenlive since my video editing workflow is built around it. Anything else has a learning curve. I've played with others but not found anything that works the SAME way as Kdenlive and has all the features in Kdenlive that I actually use. Some things could be better (notable a way to auto-follow faces when masking them out!) but I'd rather frame by frame that stuff than pay for a proprietary editor that for all I know could be sending say, metadata from my raw clips to someone I don't want to have access to it.

Back in 2016 I played with Movit, a set of GPU accelerated effects that also used an OpenGL backend, but the system RAM to video RAM and back overhead was too much and this cut rendering speed in half. At that time(7 years ago), someone claimed only Adobe had really been able to fix or get around that particular problem. Finally someone ported the only Movit effect I used (lift-gamma-gain) to CPU use and that was the end of the slow rendering as I no longer needed the OpenGL backend.

A FOSS video editor doesn't NEED to be perfect, it needs to be good enough, free-and auditable by mutually opposing parties.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

yeah, the only foss editor worth half a damn IMO is olive.
              Kdenlive, Cinelerra? Okay, Cinelerra has a steep learning curve, but it has the most features out of all FOSS video editors. And Kdenlive is the best without a learning curve.

Comment

Man, I wish I could recommend an open source video editor to creative team in my office. Currently they are using capcut for making video ads

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Kdenlive, Cinelerra? Okay, Cinelerra has a steep learning curve, but it has the most features out of all FOSS video editors. And Kdenlive is the best without a learning curve.
                  kdenlive is a toy, It does the basics really well, but when you try to branch out, it's limitations hit you square in the face like a baseball bat, cinelerra is not something i've used to any major extent, last time I used it, I wasnt super impressed though, it seemed fine, but maybe things have changed.

All in all if you are doing basic stuff, kdenlive is fine, but when you start to do things like mixing vfx properly, camera footage etc. This is where olive shows the most potential
                  Last edited by Quackdoc; 05 December 2023, 09:53 AM.

Comment

I normally use Shotcut or AviDemux depending on what i am doing.

If you're on Windows and need a pro caliber video editing suite, Magix is having a big sale on it's software:

The best video editor. Try it for free now. Movie Studio means: beginner-friendly operation + diverse editing tools and creative content.

Another alternative is Blender, yes Blender:

The Video Editor offers a range of basic yet very efficient tools.

Blender, which is free and open source software, is one of the best programs for creating professional-quality 3D animations. Oddly enough, Blender has vid...

Comment

Working...
                    X