systemd 255 Released With A "Blue Screen of Death" For Linux Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd 255 Released With A "Blue Screen of Death" For Linux Systems

Phoronix: systemd 255 Released With A "Blue Screen of Death" For Linux Systems

Ahead of the holidays systemd 255 has debuted as stable and comes with systemd-bsod as a "Blue Screen of Death" service capable of displaying full-screen error messages on Linux. There's also a new tool, systemd-vmspawn, that can be used for spawning virtual machines...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I was under the impression that the 'BSOD' equivalent on Linux systems was the kernel panic, how is this supposed to be different? Can't recall the last time I got a kernel panic, it might've involved some buggy nvidia driver a while ago.

Comment

Bsods were one of the nicest things on windows until MS crippled the output they gave. it's always nice to know why a PC crashes

Comment

You honestly have to love systemd. Their product is incredible. It shows what can be accomplished when people work together well.

Comment

To use a gaming quote: Everyday Linux strays further and further from Saradomin's light... I mean for pete's sake who needs all of this in an init system. The newer versions of RHEL past 6 and 7 are starting to feel so foreign. RHEL 9 is alien to me nowadays. I'm so glad I upgraded to OpenBSD and FreeBSD. Just wish I didn't have to use RHEL 9 at work. SystemD is not for me!

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            Bsods were one of the nicest things on windows until MS crippled the output they gave. it's always nice to know why a PC crashes
            They nixed them because the error codes were giving users too much unhelpful information causing even more stress to the average user - the vast majority of Windows' users.

However, if you DO have that information and know what you're doing, you can attach a debugger and get the same information as you could in older versions.

Learn about bug checks, which provide information when Microsoft Windows encounters a condition that compromises safe system operation and the system halts.

Systems programmers where this information is useful should already be aware of this. Everyone else it's just noise.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
              To use a gaming quote: Everyday Linux strays further and further from Saradomin's light... I mean for pete's sake who needs all of this in an init system
              The init system is only a small portion of Systemd. It was all conceived to much more than that, so I understand your confusion

Just wish I didn't have to use RHEL 9 at work. SystemD is not for me!
              Good thing there is no such thing as SystemD :-)

Comment

Time for linux historic shit cleanup. Nerds are no more waiting for girl next door when they could hack linux kernel and think: how wonderful but that shit needs vanish and be pruned for benefit of humankind(and maybe some corporation and think: time for next cycle but reading a book about C/C++ is no more bestseller to tell girl next door because also in Google girls may think that such guy is fatboy to tinker with
                Last edited by elbar; 06 December 2023, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
                  Time for linux historic shit cleanup. Nerds are no more waiting for girl next door when they could hack linux kernel and think: how wonderful but that shit needs vanish and be pruned for benefit of humankind(and maybe some corporation and think: time for next cycle but reading a book about C/C++ is no more bestseller to tell girl next door because also in Google girls may think that such guy is fatboy
                  Hey, you look like you are smoking something real good. Mind sharing?

Comment

To use a gaming quote: Everyday Linux strays further and further from Saradomin's light... I mean for pete's sake who needs all of this in an init system. The newer versions of RHEL past 6 and 7 are starting to feel so foreign. RHEL 9 is alien to me nowadays. I'm so glad I upgraded to OpenBSD and FreeBSD. Just wish I didn't have to use RHEL 9 at work. SystemD is not for me!
                    The problem with systemd is that it's both an init system and a service manager. An init system doesn't need most of what it offers while a service manager does. The service management parts of systemd might not be everyone's cup of tea, they're not always mine, but they do try to solve the standardization problems inherent to Linux as a whole. You know that as long as you have systemd-XYZ available then you can do XYZ tasks regardless of the underlying distribution, container, remote system, etc. When you can't be a single monopoly on how things are supposed to be done and why, like OpenBSD and FreeBSD get to do, something a system shared between distributions (that covers a plethora of probably unnecessary tasks most people) like systemd is the next best thing.

Ideally, they'd come out with some sort of protocol for init systems and service managers to target so they'd be a little more plug-and-play, swappable, with each other.

Comment

Working...
                    X