No announcement yet.

FreeRDP 3.0 Released With WebSocket Transport, Relative Mouse Movement & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeRDP 3.0 Released With WebSocket Transport, Relative Mouse Movement & More

Phoronix: FreeRDP 3.0 Released With WebSocket Transport, Relative Mouse Movement & More

FreeRDP 3.0 stable was released today as this open-source implementation of the Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) for allowing nice remote access support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I tried FreeRDP while using Winapps and it never really worked properly. At some point FreeRDP decided that it would only show me the "remote" (in a VM) window if I had an external monitor plugged in.

Comment

Still no mention of them dropping Wayland support with this release?

Comment

Originally posted by Azpegath View Post
        Still no mention of them dropping Wayland support with this release?
        I think they dropped separate Wayland client, but according to developers these details are now abstracted with SDL so it should work with Wayland properly?

I.e. unlike before there will be just one client for both.

Comment

Originally posted by avis
          Yep, because you totally misread the changelog:

GDI modes are obsolete the GDI to X11 mapping is incomplete, better use the complete mapping in core library

X11 support is there and not going anywhere.
          This has nothing to do with that, they deprecated the wlfreerdp client as of the first 3.0‐beta release. I've used it and read the user warning.

And who mentioned X11 support?
          Last edited by Azpegath; 13 December 2023, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            I think they dropped separate Wayland client, but according to developers these details are now abstracted with SDL so it should work with Wayland properly?

I.e. unlike before there will be just one client for both.
            Yes, they deprecated wlfreerdp in favor of the SDL client, but the latter is what seems to be alpha quality, unless they've improved it a lot since the last beta-release.
            That one was completely unusable, I got a very incorrect resolution using fullscreen, and could not interact with the desktop.

Comment

This has nothing to do with that, they deprecated the wlfreerdp client as of the first 3.0‐beta release. I've used it and read the user warning.

And who mentioned X11 support?
              I've totally misread your message. My sincere apologies

Comment

Yes, they deprecated wlfreerdp in favor of the SDL client, but the latter is what seems to be alpha quality, unless they've improved it a lot since the last beta-release.
                That one was completely unusable, I got a very incorrect resolution using fullscreen, and could not interact with the desktop.
                Their Wayland client was unmaintained and super crashy anyway, so I'd guess anything new is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                  Their Wayland client was unmaintained and super crashy anyway, so I'd guess anything new is a step in the right direction.
                  I've used it daily when working from home for a couple of years and it's "passable".. A bit unstable and it often disconnects, but I haven't blamed the client for that but more my job's network/gateway.
                  The only thing I've been missing a lot is the windows decoration so I was able to minimise the window without disconnecting the client completely.

Comment

I've used it daily when working from home for a couple of years and it's "passable".. A bit unstable and it often disconnects, but I haven't blamed the client for that but more my job's network/gateway.
                    The only thing I've been missing a lot is the windows decoration so I was able to minimise the window without disconnecting the client completely.
                    I just used X11 one with XWayland - way more stable. I'd take a new client that's maintained even in alpha over broken one that's no one is going to fix.

Comment

Working...
                    X