Pop!_OS COSMIC Desktop Improving Multi-Monitor & Multi-Window Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop!_OS COSMIC Desktop Improving Multi-Monitor & Multi-Window Support

Phoronix: Pop!_OS COSMIC Desktop Improving Multi-Monitor & Multi-Window Support

While the holidays are quickly approaching, the System76 developers working on their Ubuntu-based Pop!_OS Linux distribution and new Rust-written COSMIC desktop environment haven't been losing focus. December has been another busy month so far as they continue crafting this new modern desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Has mentioned already it's COSMIC desktop Wayland by default?

Comment

Originally posted by motang View Post
      Has mentioned already it's COSMIC desktop Wayland by default?
      cosmic-comp is a wayland compositor, so the desktop environment is Wayland-only. That said, COSMIC applications are cross-platform. COSMIC Edit has been tested on Windows and Redox OS.

Comment

The speed of development is astonishing. Nevertheless: If they want to write everything in Rust, there are missing many basic things like image and PDF viewer, email client, calendar and so on (do they have a file browser?). So either they use existing applications or we have to wait forever for a mature release.

Comment

So Pop! OS is based on Ubuntu, eh?

Well there's your problem right there!

Comment

COSMIC seems it's going to surpass GNOME.

Is COSMIC more cooperative with other DEs and WMs projects than the current hegemony?

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post

cosmic-comp is a wayland compositor, so the desktop environment is Wayland-only. That said, COSMIC applications are cross-platform. COSMIC Edit has been tested on Windows and Redox OS.
              I'm pumped about the first release of COSMIC! Does System76 already feel comfortable saying it will happen sometime around the 24.04 release? And while I hope your teams aren't spreading themselves too thin by starting on the apps so early, I always welcome great cross-platform options. That's why I use Double Commander, XnViewMP, and CudaText. They are the best options I've found for powerful tools that work across Linux, macOS, and Windows.

Comment

Yet another project that foolishly reinvents the wheel. We clearly don't need new distributions or new desktop environments, but new and better applications (and preferably not yet another music player...).

Comment

Happy to say that waydroid works great on cosmic as long as cosmic is in tiling mode by default. once the recording stuff is fixed I do want to try and use it full time. I currently swap back and forth between it and sway

Comment

Originally posted by Okki View Post
                    Yet another project that foolishly reinvents the wheel. We clearly don't need new distributions or new desktop environments, but new and better applications (and preferably not yet another music player...).
                    there really isn't any stacking native wayland DE at the moment. only old codebases that have been pushed forward to try to handle wayland in addition to xorg. cosmic will share much of the same standards and apps that gnome uses today, so it's fair to think of cosmic as gnome 4.0. gnome-shell could have survived if they didn't hate the linux desktop and their users, and had the sense to become wayland only ten years ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X