Manjaro 23.1 Released With Linux 6.6 LTS, Pipewire 1.0 & Desktop Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manjaro 23.1 Released With Linux 6.6 LTS, Pipewire 1.0 & Desktop Updates

Phoronix: Manjaro 23.1 Released With Linux 6.6 LTS, Pipewire 1.0 & Desktop Updates

Manjaro 23.1 was released overnight as the newest version of this popular Arch Linux based desktop Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Garbage distro like many others widespread out there.

Comment

Manjaro used to be my go-to until I started having too many issues with version discrepancies between Manjaro packages and what some AUR packages were expecting to be there. For someone wanting an easy-to-use rolling release distribution without wanting to play sys admin, Manjaro makes a fine choice. If someone doesn't know what they want other than to try Linux, I'd recommend it over most every other desktop oriented, user friendly, distribution that exists. They offer all the usual desktop environments with tools to keep the system updated and, if people want to dig into it, Arch-like systems are easy enough to figure out (IMHO) so Manjaro is something that a new user can probably figure out with little to no hand holding and become their stepping stone, gateway drug, into Linux like how Windows ME, 2000, and OS/2 Warp 4 got me into the world of not Windows.

The TLDR is I had an ME PC, pirated 2K because everyone said it was better (it was), and that got me into searching about operating systems in general. When I saw that OS/2 was a sinking ship and that XP looked stupid I discovered Debian. Been a happy penguin ever since.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario Junior View Post
        Garbage distro like many others widespread out there.
        Troll much? You might want to include some 'context' why it's garbage, huh?

Comment

Do they still disable hardware accelerated video encoding/decoding for h264/hevc for amd/intel gpus, just like fedora does? It sucks not being able to use the hardware that you paid for because of a software lock. You have to compile mesa from source to enable those codecs.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            Manjaro used to be my go-to until I started having too many issues with version discrepancies between Manjaro packages and what some AUR packages were expecting to be there. For someone wanting an easy-to-use rolling release distribution without wanting to play sys admin, Manjaro makes a fine choice. If someone doesn't know what they want other than to try Linux, I'd recommend it over most every other desktop oriented, user friendly, distribution that exists. They offer all the usual desktop environments with tools to keep the system updated and, if people want to dig into it, Arch-like systems are easy enough to figure out (IMHO) so Manjaro is something that a new user can probably figure out with little to no hand holding and become their stepping stone, gateway drug, into Linux like how Windows ME, 2000, and OS/2 Warp 4 got me into the world of not Windows.

The TLDR is I had an ME PC, pirated 2K because everyone said it was better (it was), and that got me into searching about operating systems in general. When I saw that OS/2 was a sinking ship and that XP looked stupid I discovered Debian. Been a happy penguin ever since.
            I've only tried Manjaro a few times, but it stopped booting after some updates. Every time I tried, so it wasn't just a temporary issue that got resolved. Never had such issues with Arch, Endeavour, Antergos and even the highly criticized Garuda. Or any other distro, for that matter (currently on Tumbleweed, as you know).

Comment

Originally posted by dec05eba View Post
              Do they still disable hardware accelerated video encoding/decoding for h264/hevc for amd/intel gpus, just like fedora does? It sucks not being able to use the hardware that you paid for because of a software lock. You have to compile mesa from source to enable those codecs.
              sadly ye, but the fix is far easier: installing libva-mesa-driver from arch

edit: Intel uses a separate VA driver and is unaffected by mesa changes, so just AMD

Comment

Originally posted by dec05eba View Post
                On Fedora you can just install RPMFusion RPMs afaik, but sometimes you gotta wait for RPMFusion builds to catch up with Fedora's.

Comment

i have been using manjaro ( plasma edition ) since 3 years and i almost got not a big problem.

Comment

I use Arch for my desktop workstation and Manjaro for my media server. Manjaro works great and has been very stable with few hiccups, and I've found it perfect for machines that prioritize stability over the absolute latest software.

Of course Arch is the best rolling distro I've ever used, but of course it requires more technical knowledge and attention. So I definitely wouldn't recommend it for those without at least a modicum of engineering expertise, or desire more stability without intervention.

Comment

Working...
                    X