Shotcut 23.12 Released With Wayland Crash Fix, Upgraded AV1 Encode/Decode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotcut 23.12 Released With Wayland Crash Fix, Upgraded AV1 Encode/Decode

Phoronix: Shotcut 23.12 Released With Wayland Crash Fix, Upgraded AV1 Encode/Decode

Shotcut 23.12 debuted this weekend as the newest version of this open-source non-linear video editing solution for Linux, Windows, and macOS systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Shotcut is a nice editor, I use on a regular basis, the only thing i do not understand is why they have not added support for exporting with svt-av1.

Thus support libaom but AOM has adopted svt-av1 as the official av1 encoder, do why not support it?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
      Shotcut is a nice editor, I use on a regular basis, the only thing i do not understand is why they have not added support for exporting with svt-av1.

Thus support libaom but AOM has adopted svt-av1 as the official av1 encoder, do why not support it?
      Are there any recent reviews and comparisons of shotcut, openshot, kdenlive, and the non-free alternatives for Linux?

Comment

since when has AOM adopted svt-av1 as the "official encoder" Aomenc is still very much the reference. for pete's sake svtav1 cant even fucking do 422 or 444 encoding. I highly doubt AOM made it "the official" encoder, they have adopted it and are developing it, but it's no more official then aomenc which is still the reference encoder

Comment

moving to dav1d 1.4
          The latest dav1d release is actually 1.3.0 https://code.videolan.org/videolan/dav1d/-/tags . I see this is also wrong in the original blog post.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Are there any recent reviews and comparisons of shotcut, openshot, kdenlive, and the non-free alternatives for Linux?
            The ones I have seen are of the generic type, this is what A does, this is what B does.

I tend to be a firm believer in the proof is in the pudding,

For Linux the non-free alternatives are Resolve and Lightworks, and they both have an impressive list of movies and TV shows that were created with them.

Until Shotcut, Openshot, Olive, Kdenlive can point to even one commercial project that was created with them, then they can't be considered legit contenders.

Comment

Until Shotcut, Openshot, Olive, Kdenlive can point to even one commercial project that was created with them, then they can't be considered legit contenders.
              It feels weird to me to limit it to commercial projects rather then cinematic projects.

Comment

The World of Goo 2 trailer has been made with Kdenlive.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  It feels weird to me to limit it to commercial projects rather then cinematic projects.
                  The rubber meets the road where cash is on the line.

The litmus test is when you are being paid to produce a project what editor do you reach for?

It's one thing when you are doing it for free, as a school project or as a hobby or as a learning experience but when there are 10's of millions of dollars on the line and the final product will be shown on iMAX theaters all over the world or it's going to be broadcast on prime time TV or HBO, do you reach for Olive, Shotcut, Openshot, or Kdenlive, or do you reach for Lightworks, Resolve, Premiere, or FCP.

Remember that line from Indiana Jones, "It's time to ask yourself what you believe", you have just signed a deal to produce a sitcom pilot and if goes well you sign a huge deal, what editor do you reach for?

Do you stick to your silly claims surrounding open source software or do you go with a proven commodity?

Comment

Originally posted by makosol View Post
                    The World of Goo 2 trailer has been made with Kdenlive.
                    Oh, the The World of Goo 2 trailer was made with Kdenlive? Well that changes everything, I guess Black Magic Design, Adobe, Apple, Magix and Lightworks might as well just close their doors and take up knitting.

Comment

Working...
                    X