Arcan Display Framework Receives Funding As Innovative Wayland Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcan Display Framework Receives Funding As Innovative Wayland Alternative

Phoronix: Arcan Display Framework Receives Funding As Innovative Wayland Alternative

While much of the focus by Linux desktops as we roll into 2024 is polishing off their Wayland support, there does exist a rather innovative display server out there that's been in the works for years: Arcan. Arcan is the open-source project built atop a game engine and provides a display server paired with a real-time multimedia framework for audio and video. Arcan can be used from embedded purposes through full desktop solutions and can also interact with Wayland and X11 as well as embracing VR. Arcan 0.6.3 was released today along with the announcement that they've taken on some funding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope somebody understands how interesting this is...

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      I hope somebody understands how interesting this is...
      Yeah, MOAR display servers in Linux!

> 15 Wayland implementations developed by a dozen people are not nearly enough! Let's spread resources even thinner!

Comment

I'm not qualified to say if this is good or bad and therefore I'll resort to liking comments which sound smart

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

> 15 Wayland implementations developed by a dozen people are not nearly enough! Let's spread resources even thinner!
          Maybe your resources as you need to read and comment on more articles but the developer resources remain unchanged.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

I tought you were smarter than this. As usual, you deceive everyone.

This is a new technology, nothing in common with Xorg or Wayland other than added compatibility.

Keep trolling!

Comment

Arcan is boring, its NIH Wayland with some of the mistakes of X11 being put back in, thats it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                Arcan is boring, its NIH Wayland with some of the mistakes of X11 being put back in, thats it.
                Please elaborate...

Comment

There is Arcan and Mir but wayland is currently widely industry-accepted.
                  Last edited by chromer; 19 December 2023, 09:45 AM.

Comment

This is great, but for it to be even considered... needs to be wayland protocol compatible too so it can run wayland apps seamlessly, if not it is dead on arrival.

Comment

Working...
                    X