openSUSE Tumbleweed Trying Out systemd-boot & systemd Full Disk Encryption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Tumbleweed Trying Out systemd-boot & systemd Full Disk Encryption

Phoronix: openSUSE Tumbleweed Trying Out systemd-boot & systemd Full Disk Encryption

OpenSUSE is now providing builds of openSUSE Tumbleweed and microOS that are making use of systemd-boot as its bootloader rather than GRUB and also leveraging full disk encryption via systemd...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just hope they won't enable systemd-resolved because that thing is a dumpster fire.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
      I just hope they won't enable systemd-resolved because that thing is a dumpster fire.
      I don't know what's your issue. I make use of systemd-resolved on servers and in nspawn containers without much trouble. I heard there were problems with DNS over TLS or HTTPS, but as I don't use that … 🤷

Comment

Originally posted by madinside View Post

I don't know what's your issue. I make use of systemd-resolved on servers and in nspawn containers without much trouble. I heard there were problems with DNS over TLS or HTTPS, but as I don't use that … 🤷
        A few days ago I made a reddit post where I explain my issues with systemd-resolved. (and I'm not the only one who suffers from them. It affects a lot of users).

Comment

Woohoo, goodbye to waiting a full minute or so for GRUB to decrypt my boot partition! And goodbye to describing a menu structure with bash-like scripts.

I use systemd-resolved (manually enabled). I did encounter a serious bug with it once where it started choking on certain DNS responses, but it was fixed relatively quickly. It makes it a lot easier to enable mDNS on a per-connection basis because it gets the settings from NetworkManager. It makes it a lot easier to split DNS traffic between a VPN and the physical connection, too.

Comment

I tried systemd-boot following this wiki page: https://en.opensuse.org/Systemd-boot

Works ok, also with FDE and TPM, however there are couple of remaining issues, albeit minor ones:
            1. No submenu support yet in the boot menu which isn't very convenient when paired with snapper/snapshots.
            2. Default snapshot may be incorrectly selected (also indicated in the wiki article).

Comment

A few days ago I made a reddit post where I explain my issues with systemd-resolved. (and I'm not the only one who suffers from them. It affects a lot of users).
              I hope that your post gets some light shined on the issues that you are experiencing so that they get fixed, however just wanted to comment on the last thing in your post:
              Also, systemd-resolved seem to be useful only for some niche use cases. I mean all other distros use static resolve.conf and everything works perfectly fine with it and nobody seem to complain. So what's even the point of resolved being enabled by default?
              It's not only for some nice use case, it's a caching resolver, aka it caches the dns replies locally so that you don't have to send out an external DNS request every single time you want to make a connection. Not only will it decrease connection latency, but it will also enable you to make connections even in the event the external DNS server is down.

Comment

2024 should be an interesting year for Linux distributions [...], Wayland becoming more prominent on the desktop
                2024 will be the year of wayland! (As 2023 was, and 2022 was, and 2021 was...)

(Wayland fan here using it without xwayland for ... 2 years?)

Comment

FIOD2 keys? I think you meant FIDO 2 keys

Comment

I'm not giving you a page hit, but your title says "I'm shocked that almost no one is talking about". So you admit these aren't widespread issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X