Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plymouth Boot Splash Screen Sees First Update In Nearly Two Years

Phoronix: Plymouth Boot Splash Screen Sees First Update In Nearly Two Years

One of the often overlooked pieces of the Linux desktop software stack is Plymouth that for the past 15 years or so has been providing a graphical boot splash screen that succeeded Red Hat's former RHGB software or having no graphical boot splash screen at all on some Linux distributions. This week marked the first new release of Plymouth in nearly two years...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

No thanks to ALL boot screens that HIDE what's going on at startup. Clean text output is one thing, but pretty for pretty's sake is not my gig. Grumble grumble grumble... boot and start is where a LOT of closed source firmware end up in Linux.
    Last edited by RAINFIRE; 22 December 2023, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RAINFIRE View Post
      No thanks to ALL boot screens that HIDE what's going on at startup. Clean text output is one thing, but pretty for pretty's sake is not my gig. Grumble grumble grumble... boot and start is where a LOT of closed source firmware end up in Linux.
      I can just press ESC if I want to see that.

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

I can just press ESC if I want to see that.
        That is so nice you can do that and I add that I am happy that you watch your closed source blobs being loaded by pressing ESC, if desired. I however prefer seeing my machine boot and it's progress. I can go back back to windurz if I want to see all the hiding of closed source loading, for which it has become very adept at hiding all sorts of boot & shudown activities... for your own safety and convenience lol. Those who trade privacy for ease deserve what they get but instead we just get all the whining about why they get so many ads and their machines are hacked.

Comment

That is so nice you can do that and I add that I am happy that you watch your closed source blobs being loaded by pressing ESC, if desired. I however prefer seeing my machine boot and it's progress. I can go back back to windurz if I want to see all the hiding of closed source loading, for which it has become very adept at hiding all sorts of boot & shudown activities... for your own safety and convenience lol. Those who trade privacy for ease deserve what they get but instead we just get all the whining about why they get so many ads and their machines are hacked.
          If you don't need Plymouth, don't enable it. You look like you are a power user. That's fine. Plymouth is not targeting power users. It's targeting consumers who do NOT want to see what's going on under the hood.
          And yes, that once was a requirement of a product I developed.

Comment

What does this even mean, you aren't gonna be seeing any "blobs getting loaded" even without Plymouth. The kernel takes like a single second to initialize all devices, after that it'systemd starting services on most systems. The point is, if your pc isn't truly ancient you won't be able to read any of the devices init log in real-time anyway

Comment

Start up text that is barely ledgable most of the time as systems simply boot to fast. Personally only started using Plymouth this year, as Being able to see how many characters you type when decrypting dmcrypt is rather useful, especially with wireless keyboards that could fail. Either way there is nothing wrong woth not using it.

Ill take ledgable pasword prompts over showing mostly useless info any time.

Comment

C'mon, you can't just jump straight to incoherent babbling on the first response. You need to ease people into it. 3/10 - very amateurish schizo rant.

Comment

Back in my day we'd just tape a pretty picture to the monitor!! These new Linux users have it so easy

Comment

Idk why, but Fedora seems to be the only distro which fully hides all the boot logs and which has a smooth transition between Plymouth and the login screen. On Ubuntu based distros for example, I first see the initial kernel logs and after GPU initialisation I see Plymouth, but before the login screen, I see the kernel logs again for a fraction of a second.

Comment

Working...
                    X