Rav1e 0.7.0 Released For Xiph.Org's Latest Rust-Based AV1 Encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rav1e 0.7.0 Released For Xiph.Org's Latest Rust-Based AV1 Encoding

Phoronix: Rav1e 0.7.0 Released For Xiph.Org's Latest Rust-Based AV1 Encoding

The Xiph.Org project Rav1e to provide the fastest and safest AV1 encoder by leveraging the Rust programming language is ending out 2023 with a new feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

You would think decoding is much more 'risky'. Is there also a decoder available in Rust?

Comment

Originally posted by peterdk View Post
      You would think decoding is much more 'risky'. Is there also a decoder available in Rust?
      Yes, it's called rav1d and it's a rust port of dav1d. Performance on both are surprisingly pretty close.
      You can find the repo here: https://github.com/memorysafety/rav1d

Comment

I just wonder how much easier it would be to port it to C++ instead. - with similar gains in safety, performance and code clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
          I just wonder how much easier it would be to port it to C++ instead. - with similar gains in safety, performance and code clarity.
          You must be joking/trolling. Modern C++ is neither very safe nor clear to read.

However, some people wonder, others do...

Comment

A language is a tool, the author that writes the code chooses what thy wants. You still have the chance to try though, let's hear how well it goes by publicizing your progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post

You must be joking/trolling. Modern C++ is neither very safe nor clear to read.

However, some people wonder, others do...
              +1 for the troll.
              But I don't think that you've ever read some code. Did you realize that both projects, rav1e and dav1d are written mostly in Assembly language? Assembly language with low comments that is. To put the word "safest" into their project description is cynical.​
              Last edited by lowflyer; 31 December 2023, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
                A language is a tool, the author that writes the code chooses what thy wants. You still have the chance to try though, let's hear how well it goes by publicizing your progress.
                I shouldn't reply to cocky non-coder comments. It's pretty unfair to throw a "make a better one yourself" here. You know that will not happen. It's a 15 year old project with more than 120 contributors.

Comment

I sympathize with your statements and there's definitely truth to it, but by now C++ is a clusterf@ck monster and rare projects rigidly use only "modern" C++ (whatever that may mean to a given individual). I do find C++ to have the best trade-offs in "systems programming" (except where C excels), at least until Zig 1.0 gets released.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                    For anyone wondering:

(g++ 13.2.0​, with the same flags, just creates an executable that spins a core indefinitely).
                    Last edited by GeneralZod; 31 December 2023, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X