Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 & Other Scarlett Audio Mixers To Be Supported By Linux 6.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 & Other Scarlett Audio Mixers To Be Supported By Linux 6.8

Phoronix: Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 & Other Scarlett Audio Mixers To Be Supported By Linux 6.8

Picked up this week by the Linux sound subsystem's "next" development branch is a number of additions to the Scarlett USB audio mixer driver for supporting this audio hardware under Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Don't tempt me into buying new audio gear...

Comment

Originally posted by rhysperry111 View Post
      Don't tempt me into buying new audio gear...
      After I went to a SSL2 my jaw literally dropped at how much clearer all audio sounded. So far as we know Solid State Logic at least a few absolute jewels for GNU LInux since around about kernel version 5.14. with the SSL2 and SSL2+. Also Solid State Logic is serious business they produce massive consoles that get installed in big studios.

I'd go with a Solid State Logic SSL2 to be honest anyway or something from RME, Universal Audio etc. After I changed from the Scarlett to SSL I realized the output stage of my old 2i2 gen2 was muddy, really bad if you are looking for clarity while mixing. I talked to a guy at sweetwater and he literally said that he doesn't recommend the Scarlett interfaces to anyone. I thought mine was great until I used something different. The newer Scarlett interfaces might be better though. Even the Behringer stuff is better from what I understand. I think the Mackie ProFX8 are supposed to be pretty good with GNU Linux. I went full SSL though, so I spent not much on the interface but a lot on a mini console, plus upgraded my monitors to at least some Adam T5V's with stands.

I may in the future get a SSL12 for summing my mixes through my SiX.
      Last edited by creative; 01 January 2024, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by creative View Post

After I went to a SSL2 my jaw literally dropped at how much clearer all audio sounded.

I'd go with a Solid State Logic SSL2 to be honest anyway or something from RME, Universal Audio etc. After I changed from the Scarlett to SSL I realized the output stage of my old 2i2 gen2 was muddy, really bad if you are looking for clarity while mixing. I talked to a guy at sweetwater and he literally said that he doesn't recommend the Scarlett interfaces to anyone. I thought mine was great until I used something different. The newer Scarlett interfaces might be better though. Even the Behringer stuff is better from what I understand. I think the Mackie ProFX8 are supposed to be pretty good with GNU Linux. I went full SSL though, so I spent not much on the interface but a lot on a mini console, plus upgraded my monitors to at least some Adam T5V's with stands.

I may in the future get a SSL12 for summing my mixes through my SiX.
        Currently running a 2i2 gen2 for my E5 monitors and pair of DT770 Pros. I can't say I've noticed many problems however it's the sorta thing that you don't notice until you get something better. I'll definitely think about it when I upgrade next.

Comment

Originally posted by rhysperry111 View Post

Currently running a 2i2 gen2 for my E5 monitors and pair of DT770 Pros. I can't say I've noticed many problems however it's the sorta thing that you don't notice until you get something better. I'll definitely think about it when I upgrade next.
          The SSL2 is actually cheaper than the Scarletts right now. I'm still waiting on reports for the SSL12, so far I have seen at least one and I suspect the ins and outs being able to be routed, no access to the 360 software though, windows and mac only for that software.

DT770's are dang good cans from what I have gathered. I just use Sony MDR-7506's though.
          Last edited by creative; 01 January 2024, 10:00 AM.

Comment

After I went to a SSL2 my jaw literally dropped at how much clearer all audio sounded.
            Focusrite's pro line, Clarett+, is also such a tremendous improvement over the Scarlett. I didn't realize the muddiness until I switched but now I can't go back.

Comment

Originally posted by zx2c4 View Post

Focusrite's pro line, Clarett+, is also such a tremendous improvement over the Scarlett. I didn't realize the muddiness until I switched but now I can't go back.
              That's good to hear about their higher end interfaces. The reason I switched is cause I could sense I wasn't making things out and something was off, it's called clarity and above all else in audio production clarity is the answer. I made great mixes with the Scarlett but there is a point where you have spent enough time to know something better is available despite what people say, cause you literally realize something is missing.
              Last edited by creative; 01 January 2024, 10:22 AM.

Comment

That's good to hear about their higher end interfaces. The reason I switched is cause
                Also, check out this project, which gives the Claretts (and the lowend Scarletts) first class support on Linux: https://github.com/geoffreybennett/alsa-scarlett-gui

Comment

I would love to see a blind comparison done with all the hifi gurus on here... Claiming to hear difference in clarity between hardware that has a definition 10 times higher than their hearing.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                    I would love to see a blind comparison done with all the hifi gurus on here... Claiming to hear difference in clarity between hardware that has a definition 10 times higher than their hearing.
                    I'd like to opt myself out of the hi-fi guru camp :P

While I have some pretty nice audio software and some pretty stubborn practices, it's mostly down to my theatre tech and live audio background. I'm not the sort to have a private flac collection or million dollar magic audiophile cables (balanced audio over XLR sexy enough for me)

Comment

Working...
                    X