New Linux Patch Officially Confirms AMD Family 26 As Being Zen 5 CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Linux Patch Officially Confirms AMD Family 26 As Being Zen 5 CPUs

Phoronix: New Linux Patch Officially Confirms AMD Family 1Ah As Being Zen 5 CPUs

AMD's open-source Linux software engineers continue preparing the Linux kernel for supporting next-generation Zen 5 processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder what the hell are they going to be called, since AMD is releasing Zen 4 APUs with the 8000 name.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
      I wonder what the hell are they going to be called, since AMD is releasing Zen 4 APUs with the 8000 name.
      Ryzen 3000 series: Zen+ for APUs, Zen 2 for CPUs.
      Possibly there will be slightly updated chipsets for AM5 in autumn 2024 (USB4 mainly).
      Last edited by Svyatko; 05 January 2024, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
        They will call them 8X5X if they release them this year. The first digit is simply an indicator for the year of release while the 3rd digit says something about the cpu's architecture. See https://www.phoronix.com/news/AMD-New-Model-SKUs-2023 for more information on the scheme. I would have loved if they added at least another digit for the iGPU architecture. But alas, it is what it is.

Comment

today also some zen5 updates appeared in binutils: isa support is zen4 + avx vnni, avx512 vp2intersect, movdiri/64b and prefetchi.

Comment

Originally posted by Sashinoto View Post
            They will call them 8X5X if they release them this year. The first digit is simply an indicator for the year of release while the 3rd digit says something about the cpu's architecture. See https://www.phoronix.com/news/AMD-New-Model-SKUs-2023 for more information on the scheme. I would have loved if they added at least another digit for the iGPU architecture. But alas, it is what it is.
            AMD should follow the USB Consortium's lead. 'Zen3.2 Gen2 x2'

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
              AMD should follow the USB Consortium's lead. 'Zen3.2 Gen2 x2'
              I recently found out that the often ridiculed USB designations –like "3.2 Gen 2" and "3.2 Gen 2x2"– are and always were technical terms meant for the likes of implementers and integrators, and that consumer names like "High-Speed" and "SuperSpeed+" existed all along but just never became popular. A year ago the USB-IF settled on new consumer names that might find more adoption. You and others may know this already; I mention it for anyone who doesn't, like myself not long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by kalrish View Post
                consumer names like "High-Speed" and "SuperSpeed+" existed all along but just never became popular.
                I wonder why. High speed vs. super speed vs full speed. Vs great spead. speed+. WTF speed(TM).

"Hello, I'd like to purchase some USB"
                "Sure, which one would you fancy?"
                "The one with some speed, please"
                "Sorry, don't have some right now, only full, high, good, better and kind-of speed"

Even the sometimes misleading "more zeroes is better" is not this bad.

Comment

Originally posted by rrveex View Post

I wonder why. High speed vs. super speed vs full speed. Vs great spead. speed+. WTF speed(TM).

"Sorry, don't have some right now, only full, high, good, better and kind-of speed"

I fully agree. The official branding should have helped consumers navigate the marketing jungle, but it fell short and contributed to the general mess. Let's hope the new branding fares better.

Comment

Originally posted by rrveex View Post

And 10 years later they'll have gone through High, Super, Mega, Ultra, Ribbed for her pleasure, Good, Great, Uber, Magnum, Enhanced, and Full they'll start reusing the names again with something like HD, a plus sign, or something that includes the letters X or Z.

Remember, when buying an AMD 7000 GPU, buy the RX and not the HD model. You want the X tacked on edition and not the HD version. Some are RX XT. Two X's so you know those GPUs don't suck.

Comment

Working...
                    X