Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Receives Last Minute GSP Fixes For Linux 6.7

Phoronix: Nouveau Receives Last Minute GSP Fixes For Linux 6.7

Ahead of the Linux 6.7 kernel set to be released on Sunday, Red Hat's David Airlie has sent in some last minute fixes for the open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" DRM kernel driver. These fixes are for addressing fallout from the NVIDIA GPU System Processor (GSP) firmware support merged for the v6.7 cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Will there be benchmarks comparing pre/post GSP Nouveau with the proprietary driver?

Comment

Originally posted by StackDoubleFlow View Post
      Will there be benchmarks comparing pre/post GSP Nouveau with the proprietary driver?
      When it's all working right, as mentioned been hitting some bugs.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Hmm so it's gonna work with 30 series cards? I have a 30 series card, maybe i should try it. I doubt I'll last long on it, I need hardware encoding, hardware decoding and i occasionally use cuda too.

But if i can get 60+fps in most games i might actually like it, up until the point where i need something it doesn't have.

Nouveau development has been getting a little bit exciting over the past few months. For the first time since I started using linux actually.

Is it too soon to try maybe? I think it's probably a lil too soon. I'm gonna wait for Michael's benchmarks.

Comment

so is it working or not?
          im not very sure what its the conclusion of the article
          also will the GSP blob be available within the linux firmware package or must be extracted from official driver?

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
            so is it working or not?
            im not very sure what its the conclusion of the article
            also will the GSP blob be available within the linux firmware package or must be extracted from official driver?
            is necessary to use a kernel parameter to use GSP, GSP is just enabled as default in ADA (RTX 4*** series), about linux firmware i think have some aur idk if is upstream now

Comment

The GSP firmware is already in linux-firmware so having the 6.7 kernel firmware should be enough.

Its very exciting to see where the GSP firmware and NVK are going and I bet that with the speed they have been going its gaming viable in/before the next LTS kernel release.

If I didn't depend on CUDA (I contribute to an open source AI frontend so testing CUDA is a must for me even once our software has Vulkan support) I would probably just stick with Nouveau by then.

Comment

I do have a laptop wit Intel iGPU and a 3060, I have the Nvidia card disabled in bios because it's such a mess dealing with the closed source driver. Hoping I can use it with Nouveau+GSP, looking forward to it.

Comment

Don't get too excited, nvk is not cooked yet, let em cook

Comment

Michael can you post the make/model of cards you are trying on?

Comment

Working...
                    X