Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME 46 Alpha Released With Many Improvements

Phoronix: GNOME 46 Alpha Released With Many Improvements

If you happen to be impacted by snow storms today or otherwise have extra time on your hands this weekend, GNOME 46 Alpha is now available for testing this latest desktop environment that will be going head-to-head with KDE Plasma 6.0 later this quarter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've used GNOME and Fedora for nearly 15 years now, and I think this will be the year I drop GNOME.

It's nothing to do with CSDs or it's design, I happen to think the GTK/Adwaita app system is really good and maturing, but i have no hope for its future.

It's become picky and choose about what standards it wants to implement, there being stupid arguments with the people who are going to be the main users of the functionality (e.g. DRM Leasing, GNOME not wanting to implement the standard protocol that Valve wants and other compositors use) [1], the argument about dropping X support and the discontent shown to downstream projects or accessibility users [2] , not to mention the fact that AppIndicators to this day are still not supported out the box, despite there being tried and trusted code to enable them.

The users of the system are constantly the collateral damage of this pointless politics, forced to use extensions, use forked versions or have a subpar experience.

[1] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/1743
    [2] https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome...ge_requests/99

Comment

Works great here without any extensions. I couldn't care less about X, so the sooner they remove this insecure bloat the better.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        I've used GNOME and Fedora for nearly 15 years now, and I think this will be the year I drop GNOME.

It's nothing to do with CSDs or it's design, I happen to think the GTK/Adwaita app system is really good and maturing, but i have no hope for its future.

It's become picky and choose about what standards it wants to implement, there being stupid arguments with the people who are going to be the main users of the functionality (e.g. DRM Leasing, GNOME not wanting to implement the standard protocol that Valve wants and other compositors use) [1], the argument about dropping X support and the discontent shown to downstream projects or accessibility users [2] , not to mention the fact that AppIndicators to this day are still not supported out the box, despite there being tried and trusted code to enable them.

The users of the system are constantly the collateral damage of this pointless politics, forced to use extensions, use forked versions or have a subpar experience.

What I find somewhat puzzling about their corner cutting is how they usually justify it with a lack of resources. How is it possible that this flagship DE which is backed by the likes of Red Hat, Canonical, Google, etc... is in so dire straits they need to cut essential features? In comparison, KDE seems to pull this stuff off effortlessly. Is it that KDE relies on Qt, while GNOME builds its own tech from the ground up? I've been using GNOME as my daily driver for the last 3 years due the better wayland support compared to KDE5, but I switched to KDE6-rc1 now and it's SO much nicer. They seemed to have pulled off the transition to Qt6 in (almost) one go, while big GNOME apps like Evolution are still GTK3, years after version 4's introduction.

Comment

That GNOME VR one was an interesting read. According to them, "it can be done in a day" but they're not going to do it because they want to be special and implement it using GNOME Security Theater Portals instead of using Gnome Security Theater Wayland.

Quit moving the goddamn Security Theater Goalposts.

JoshuaAshton isn't wrong. They need to think about users first and doing things their own way second. Give their users an environment the does the things the community at large has agreed upon and then figure out how to adapt that to your special way. It's a slap in the face when the environment the community at large agreed upon is also one of that company's special ways.

It's funny. They forced everyone onto Wayland, dropped the ball, got overtaken by their biggest competitor, and now that everyone else is starting to rock Wayland better than the originators they're all "Wayland isn't secure enough. Y'all gotta do it with Portals now". Yeah, OK. Queue up The Who.

Comment

[/URL]
            Buh bye then

Comment

I don't know what is new GNOME 46 but I am excited for it and look forward to it!

I really like GNOME!

I hope they can fix so that drag-and-drop works in File Roller on Wayland though.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

It's funny. They forced everyone onto Wayland, dropped the ball, got overtaken by their biggest competitor, and now that everyone else is starting to rock Wayland better than the originators they're all "Wayland isn't secure enough. Y'all gotta do it with Portals now". Yeah, OK. Queue up The Who.
                The DRM leasing / portal argument is funny to me as it comes up again and again. Gnome from the beginning resisted attempts to make desktop sharing a Wayland protocol and Gnome devs implemented the sharing portal in a bunch of (not Gnome) apps - and I'd argue the result is great. You seem to make a conspiracy out of it - IMO saying a lot about your judgemental capabilities.

Gnome in my view is usually the side who *doesn't* want to cut corners but do things right from the beginning. So DEs don't need to support a bunch of half-backed solutions forever - and once it's done people tend to be happy with the result. Crucially they usually don't talk any more about the fact that if the opposing parties had it their way, things would be way more shitty now.

But well, have fun using initd, alsa, X11, without dbus and portals and everything, I'm sure it's gonna be great

As for KDE: it's IMO great to see proper competition in the Wayland world and people preferring KDE being able to use it, not being forced to Gnome for technical reasons.

Comment

Waste of money and effort.
                  GNOME is obsolete, outdated and insecure.
                  It's time to move on.

Comment

i was a big supporter of gnome too but recently had enough and left for kde. vrr and other wayland improvements was my biggest issue. in the last four years, i have gotten 3 new monitors, all of which support freesync, and two of them was barely used with vrr because of gnome taking forever. when i got my new monitor back in september i decided to ditch gnome for kde and its nice to finally be able to enjoy vrr in my games all the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X