Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa Vulkan Drivers Reach An Inflection Point: Idea Raised To Be More Like Gallium3D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa Vulkan Drivers Reach An Inflection Point: Idea Raised To Be More Like Gallium3D

Phoronix: Mesa Vulkan Drivers Reach An Inflection Point: Idea Raised To Be More Like Gallium3D

With Mesa's Gallium3D architecture there are different state trackers like for VA-API and OpenGL that in turn run atop the different Gallium3D hardware drivers with an aim for common code re-use and making the most of capabilities for each of the drivers. With Mesa's Vulkan drivers there isn't quite that level of code sharing/re-use given Vulkan's low-level API approach, but now the idea is raised whether the Mesa Vulkan drivers may benefit from a more Gallium3D-like runtime...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great, but please, don't call that Vulkium3D.
    Enough with the terrible names.

Comment

I think it's probably still not the right time to go consolidating more of the Vulkan drivers. They are progressing quickly enough as it is in my view.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
        So Vulkigal3D it is then.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          I think it's probably still not the right time to go consolidating more of the Vulkan drivers. They are progressing quickly enough as it is in my view.
          There are enough Vulkan drivers that have been written that we pretty much know how they ought to be done, but each one remains a long and laborious road because a huge amount of code has to be continually re-written. Now is an excellent time to move towards a common frontend, just as the various different OpenGL drivers did years ago with Gallium. It's the reason OpenGL drivers are significantly easier to bring up then Vulkan ones despite OpenGL being a much more onerous API to implement.

As the article points out, Vulkan drivers have been growing a wide array of extensions with it seems more on the way every month. This results in a significant amount of duplicated code in the frontend of each Vulkan driver. Yes there's common code to *sometimes* help with implementing the extensions, but as it stands each and every Vulkan driver has to individually do the work to implement them. This sucks massive donkey balls when different Vulkan drivers end up in with different levels of support.

Having a common Vulkan frontend which can do the lowering for all or most of these extensions would mean that every Vulkan driver gets support for every new extension almost automatically, while people implementing Vulkan drivers only need to worry about the shader compiler and the backend that directly drives the hardware (illustrated in Elkstand's accompanying blog post).

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
            I suppose it will be called Vanadium.

Comment

Please use some of the Iceland Volcano names, like Eyjafjallajökull

Comment

Oooooo Vitaly is commenting on that MR, always appreciate the depth of his comments

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Vanadium3D could actually be a pretty cool name imho 😎

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

Romulan3d

Comment

Working...
                    X