No announcement yet.

The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7980X Boasts Some Big AI Wins & More With Linux 6.7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7980X Boasts Some Big AI Wins & More With Linux 6.7

Phoronix: The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7980X Boasts Some Big AI Wins & More With Linux 6.7

For those on a new AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7000 series system at least, the recently released Linux 6.7 stable kernel is looking mighty good at least for the Threadripper 7980X when testing on the newly-launched System76 Thelio Major...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not to be a Negative Nelly, but I suspect that upgrading the kernel on the Thelio Major in the manner described would probably void the warranty.

The main takeaway of improved performance going from 6.6 to 6.7 for the 7980X is interesting however.

My only concern would be stability, PoP_OS ships with an LTS kernel and I can't see anyone spending up to 30 grand for a fully loaded system only to risk instability and voiding the warranty by upgrading the kernel to a non-LTS kernel.

Comment

Michael

Typo

"This was quite a pleasant surprise as originally had started this kernel comparison on the System76 Thelio Major" I think should be "original I had" (insert "I")

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

My only concern would be stability, PoP_OS ships with an LTS kernel and I can't see anyone spending up to 30 grand for a fully loaded system only to risk instability and voiding the warranty by upgrading the kernel to a non-LTS kernel.
        On the bright side: if the change that caused these massive speedups was identified, it could potentially be backported to the lts kernel.

Comment

Man I am so salivating at the premise of having a AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7980X as my main coding machine which you can then double up as a good gaming machine due to good single core clocks.

I then go look at the price and its ~5k euro for just the CPU. Guess I gotta go out and prostitute myself again.

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

On the bright side: if the change that caused these massive speedups was identified, it could potentially be backported to the lts kernel.
            I doubt it. One of the things responsible for such gains is probably the EEVDF - EDIT: I forgot it was introduced earlier. If it was moved to the stable version, there would no longer be any point in maintaining the stable version. If porting bugfixes causes regressions porting core changes could be disastrous.
            Last edited by Volta; 21 January 2024, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

I doubt it. One of the things responsible for such gains is probably the EEVDF. If it was moved to the stable version, there would no longer be any point in maintaining the stable version. If porting bugfixes causes regressions porting core changes could be disastrous.
              EEVDF was introduced in Linux 6.6
              So both kernel have it.
              Something else must be at play.

Comment

As far as I remember eevdf has been tweaked in 6.7

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                  Man I am so salivating at the premise of having a AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7980X as my main coding machine which you can then double up as a good gaming machine due to good single core clocks.

I then go look at the price and its ~5k euro for just the CPU. Guess I gotta go out and prostitute myself again.
                  At least it's not even close to how overpriced a H100 is.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post

You can pickup a used 2990WX from Ebay for $500:

cpu in working order, power on, passed aida64 stress test in 20 min uptime. No future testing will be done. Only cpu threadripper 2990wx included, no ram or ssd etc. only cpu.open to offers, shipping from Ukraine.No returns, no partial refunds. Pls ask your questions before buy. Have a good day!

That's not fast enough for you?

Comment

Working...
                    X