Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vulkan Roadmap 2024 Brings Shader Quad Control, Shader Maximal Reconvergence & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan Roadmap 2024 Brings Shader Quad Control, Shader Maximal Reconvergence & More

Phoronix: Vulkan Roadmap 2024 Brings Shader Quad Control, Shader Maximal Reconvergence & More

The Khronos Group today announced their Vulkan Roadmap 2024 milestone as a specification for their latest API features and meeting the needs of 2024 graphics processors and other hardware. Vulkan Roadmap 2024 builds upon Vulkan 1.3 and the Vulkan Roadmap 2022 specifications to deliver next-generation capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So watch the Vulkan progress and the market (Nvidia, AMD, Intel) in 2024 and make an appropriate upgrade decision in 2025. This is more important for laptop buyers seeing as how you'll be locked in as opposed to the desktop jockeys who can swap cards with ease. Another question is what is on the market today that might already be capable but which is unknowable at the moment until further clarification of the Vulkan Roadmap for 2024? I'd imagine only the highest of high end but hard to speculate.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
      So watch the Vulkan progress and the market (Nvidia, AMD, Intel) in 2024 and make an appropriate upgrade decision in 2025. This is more important for laptop buyers seeing as how you'll be locked in as opposed to the desktop jockeys who can swap cards with ease. Another question is what is on the market today that might already be capable but which is unknowable at the moment until further clarification of the Vulkan Roadmap for 2024? I'd imagine only the highest of high end but hard to speculate.
      Which GPU alternatives do you have in mind on laptops? As AMD couldn't get that many design wins at CES, I doubt there is much else than Nvidia this year in the gaming segment.

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post

Which GPU alternatives do you have in mind on laptops? As AMD couldn't get that many design wins at CES, I doubt there is much else than Nvidia this year in the gaming segment.
        Thankfully nvidia should also be useable this year with the open drivers. The spring releases will be interesting to see if they are ready by then, but definitely by the september releases I would expect nvidia open drivers to be atleast 80% of proprietary drivers in the majority of cases.

Comment

Wish more games used Vulkan but it seems DX12 is outpacing it lately. Especially when developers include Vulkan but its buggy and slower then DX12.

Comment

Working...
          X