Sway 1.9-rc1 Supports New Wayland Extensions & Better Rendering Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sway 1.9-rc1 Supports New Wayland Extensions & Better Rendering Performance

Phoronix: Sway 1.9-rc1 Supports New Wayland Extensions & Better Rendering Performance

Simon Ser just released Sway 1.9-rc1 as the newest test release for this i3-inspired Wayland compositor...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm on day three of living in Sway, coming from a few months with Hyprland. I really like this age of popular DE-less systems. It's more than just tiling.

Sway has been a positive experience. I don't have to say anything about the Hypr community, but suffice to say it feels like Sway's community is easier to defend. The project is manageable-size, developed in the open, and responsive. It's been the slower and more conservative of the "Wayland compositor" projects (all of them encompassing more than just the compositor, necessarily), but its progress has been solid.

It's great. Simple to try for most of us in this forum, minimal footprint, and adhering to its place in the new Wayland stack wrt XDG, etc., and hacking-friendly. Strong recommend.

Comment

Wish Wayland had an immediate frame presentation mode for the whole desktop or atleast for the cursor layer...
      Swapped from nvidia to amd hoping it would improve the cursor delay like it is on non-composited i3 but it remained the same.

Tearing protocol did get implemented but only for fullscreen use cases...

Comment

updated: https://t2sde.org/packages/sway, as the year old release no longer built with their own libwlroots anymore, ...

Comment

Originally posted by nxij View Post
          Wish Wayland had an immediate frame presentation mode for the whole desktop or atleast for the cursor layer...
          Swapped from nvidia to amd hoping it would improve the cursor delay like it is on non-composited i3 but it remained the same.

Tearing protocol did get implemented but only for fullscreen use cases...
          i3 runs xorg

Comment

Comment posted from Firefox running in Sway. That's it, all I've got
            Last edited by ehansin; 26 January 2024, 05:56 PM. Reason: Grammer

Comment

unfortunately it seems like sway has some really weird perf issues when using Intel gpus, and it gets even worse if you have a second gpu with its own monitor, the results of my testing are here https://github.com/swaywm/sway/issues/7914 but it really is quite dissapointing, neither KDE nor cosmic had these issues (though cosmic had it's own and so did KDE). When using just the intel gpu for display, it is a bit better (MPV at least doesnt stutter just because its full screen) but I had to leave sway as my main compositor, oh well, gave me an excuse to really trial run cosmic

Comment

Originally posted by daemonburrito View Post
                It's been the slower and more conservative of the "Wayland compositor" projects (all of them encompassing more than just the compositor, necessarily), but its progress has been solid.
                Not sure what you mean here. Sway has consistently been on the forefront of Wayland development, often implementing features in wlroots (a project created and maintained by the Sway creator/maintainer) before there are official protocols to do them. Screenshots, for instance.

Unless something has changed, Sway is very much quick on the uptake on any Wayland needs and updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post

Not sure what you mean here. Sway has consistently been on the forefront of Wayland development, often implementing features in wlroots (a project created and maintained by the Sway creator/maintainer) before there are official protocols to do them. Screenshots, for instance.
                  Not the OP but as a long time Sway user I can understand the 'conservative' moniker. It set out to be an i3 clone and the look and feel doesn't really ever change. They add commands, implement extensions, improve the implementation, but my config file never needs to be touched and my desktop looks identical to when i first installed it in the wlc days ~2017.

Comment

wp-fractional-scale-v1
                    with this, I hope xwayland apps will stop being blurry. I could've built sway with wlroots 0.17 by myself long time ago, but I guess I'm too lazy for that lol

Comment

Working...
                    X