Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Linux Hardware Vendor Is Valuing Itself At $75,000,000 USD

Phoronix: A Linux Hardware Vendor Is Valuing Itself At $75,000,000 USD

Linux hardware vendor Purism that is known for their crowd-funded Librem 5 smartphone effort, Linux-loaded laptops, and other privacy-minded wares announced a first public offering of Purism stock on the StartEngine platform...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    ...... announced a first public offering of Purism stock on the StartEngine platform.
    Success and growth are good problems to have. As a public offering would seem to indicate.

Comment

At first sight it looks like Trump or his accountants did the valuation, but all kidding aside, companies are typically valued at annual revenue times 10 years, so if anything these guys re a bit conservative.

Comment

To be honest I haven't heard too much about Purism lately. This kind of came out of left field to me (which may be because I have been noticing Framework and Pine in the media a lot lately).

I know they are one of the only companies truly promising open firmware. Are their laptop and phone divisions healthy?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post

Success and growth are good problems to have. As a public offering would seem to indicate.
          pretty sure this is an act of desperation. i am holding the Librem brick of infinite disappointment, and it's worse than a 2008 Android.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
            I know they are one of the only companies truly promising open firmware.
            It's much easier to provide open firmware if you base on System76's open firmware: https://source.puri.sm/firmware/librem-ec.
            The benefit of releasing open firmware is that it makes it much easier to collaborate, share, and proliferate across hardware on the market.
            Last edited by mmstick; 29 January 2024, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Purism are totally incapable of actually delivering hardware and are dragging their feet for years on refunds.
              Then they make up culty bullshit to try to get critics to take down their videos and posts:
              https://youtu.be/wKegmu0V75shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7RsuXqHbVIhttps://old.reddit.com/r/Purism/comments/jccneh/comment/g94ts7f/?utm_source=share&utm_...

I sure as hell wouldn't value them at anywhere even close to this. This is probably a desperate last attempt to raise funds by selling themselves out.
              Last edited by Developer12; 30 January 2024, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                At first sight it looks like Trump or his accountants did the valuation, but all kidding aside, companies are typically valued at annual revenue times 10 years, so if anything these guys re a bit conservative.
                It blows my mind that people can literally witness a guy arrive in a $100M aircraft that costs $30,000/hr to run and be like “my TV says he’s not even that rich”

I’m not a political scientist, but I can at least use simple math to identify when a narrative is deceptive

Comment

Originally posted by ziguana View Post

pretty sure this is an act of desperation. i am holding the Librem brick of infinite disappointment, and it's worse than a 2008 Android.
                  What exactly did you expect from such a device then? I personally am using my Librem 5 as daily driver, replaced my Android smartphone I bought in 2018 with it. Battery life is much worse, sure. But given how little time and resources went into development of the software stack for mobile usage, it's quite impressive how usable it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
                    Purism are totally incapable of actually delivering hardware and are dragging their feet for years on refunds.
                    Correction: they have no trouble with delivering the hardware. The Librem 5 project caught many delays, but already produced all the hardware it was supposed to. What they have troubles with are refund requests, as some people decided they don't want their preordered device anymore.

Source (and disclosure): I had been working on L5's software as a contractor.
                    Last edited by dos1; 29 January 2024, 09:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X