Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canonical Improving The Thunderbird Snap For Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Phoronix: Canonical Improving The Thunderbird Snap For Ubuntu 24.04 LTS

Canonical is continuing the emphasis on Snaps for the upcoming Ubuntu 24.04 LTS release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Best way to improve a Snap : replace by a Flatpak.

Comment

Yesterday: Canonical tells us snaps are great because they save packaging work: https://www.phoronix.com/news/FOSDEM-2024-Snaps
      • Packaging moves from distros to upstream
        • 10+ distros, each packaging XXX, inventing the wheel 10+ times
        • So let upstream, XXX.org, snap it, distros take the Snap
        • Distro version released, app updates continue from upstream
      Today: Canonical reinvents the wheel for the 11th time, builds Thunderbird from source into their snap to get back the benefits of packaging yourself (supporting other architectures, compliance with own standards).

Logical disconnect?

Comment

I like snaps, without them I would probably still be using Ubuntu.

Comment

I also like Schnapps but I wouldn't ever combine that with using Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by pilino View Post
            Yesterday: Canonical tells us snaps are great because they save packaging work: https://www.phoronix.com/news/FOSDEM-2024-Snaps

Today: Canonical reinvents the wheel for the 11th time, builds Thunderbird from source into their snap to get back the benefits of packaging yourself (supporting other architectures, compliance with own standards).

Logical disconnect?
            It's Canomical

Comment

Logical disconnect?
              Or institutional disconnect between marketing and engineering of a large enough company

Comment

Ubuntu is trying to appear to us not to be useless.

Comment

Logical disconnect?
                  Distributions should not be packaging non-system third party apps. It's unsustainable and arguably unequal to other applications. You don't see Microsoft packaging Firefox or Apple packaging it.

Comment

I am using this layout in Thunderbird. It works very well on screens with low resolution, like the laptop I use at work. People were ripping their panties in anger when it appeared, but I found it very useful.

Comment

Working...
                    X