Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Patch Pending To Fix Support For The Transmeta Crusoe CPU

Phoronix: Linux Patch Pending To Fix Support For The Transmeta Crusoe CPU

While the Linux kernel has seen increased activity around dropping old/unused hardware drivers and other support, for old hardware that is still proven to be used on upstream Linux kernel releases does stick around and even will see the occasional fix... The latest example of that is a fix on the way for restoring Linux kernel support for the Transmeta Crusoe, the x86-compatible processor released back in 2000...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes I am old enough that I was already a Linux user well before Torvalds went to Transmeta so I get the nostalgia factor.
    Having said that, if entire architectures like IA64 are being jettisoned from the modern kernel, why are we still caring about Crusoe?

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
      Yes I am old enough that I was already a Linux user well before Torvalds went to Transmeta so I get the nostalgia factor.
      Having said that, if entire architectures like IA64 are being jettisoned from the modern kernel, why are we still caring about Crusoe?
      This isn't an architecture per se...its an x86 32bit compatible target that has support for i586, not i686 which has been default for while now.. I mean i guess they could remove the i586 support in general but as linux still support 486SX, I guess removing it is more work than keeping it in...all this is gone anyway in a few years when 32bit-only support is removed.

Obviously someone is still using it and sending patches. No one stepped up for the amount of work necessary to support IA64.

Comment

Pentium M has killed it, sadly. and after Core was released there was really no competition between those two any more.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckula View Post
          It's because itanium was a massive pain in the ass to other parts of the kernel, particularly EFI, just by existing.

This chip isn't much different from other pentium class chips and so as long as linux keeps carrying pentium support it doesn't come with a high cost. Most of the pentium stuff isn't even that much different from the rest of 32 bit x86, and that's definitely going to be around for a while in the form of legacy systems even if there aren't many new systems being made.

Comment

Originally posted by panikal View Post
            ...all this is gone anyway in a few years when 32bit-only support is removed.
            I'll believe it when I see it. I expect that by the time linux removes 32-bit x86 support, it will already be loosing ground to some new rust microkernel or something.

Comment

Were I worked we had a transmeta based HP "tablet" back then (the word tablet were not used yet).
              It run Windows and was ugly and slow.

Comment

szymon_g Nvidia bought Transmeta and built some pretty awesome ARM CPUs ("Project Denver") based on Transmeta's IP. Those were way ahead of their time in terms of performance and energy efficiency.

Seemingly, there's a cutoff point, where making a native design is more advantageous though, because Nvidia does not use the technology anymore.
                Last edited by kiffmet; 09 February 2024, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

rust microkernel or something.
                  what lol

Comment

I should have some Efficeon around here. Very interesting machines; sadly they were plagued by the fact that they were only sold soldered on boards, but then combined with often questionable chips, esp. in laptops. Their efficiency was unbeaten at the time and afaik the others licensed patents from Transmeta to get their power efficiency better.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X