New Nouveau Patch Would Allow Optionally Enabling GSP Mode By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Nouveau Patch Would Allow Optionally Enabling GSP Mode By Default

Phoronix: New Nouveau Patch Would Allow Optionally Enabling GSP Mode By Default

With the Nouveau driver support for using the NVIDIA GSP (GPU System Processor) that was added in Linux 6.7, that is only used by default on the GeForce RTX 40 "Ada" GPUs and moving forward where otherwise there is no accelerated support. The NVIDIA GSP is present in the GeForce RTX 20 "Turing" and RTX 30 "Ampere" hardware too, but not used by default unless setting a module option to enable the mode. However, a new patch is pending that would allow kernel builders to optionally enable the GSP mode by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I do love an optional default

Comment

I don't understand what this means for Nouveau but I'm excited for anything that improves the nvidia open source driver functionality

Comment

I would love to see nouveau take off and fly with the new GSP-RM.

But after my own testing on a GA102 (RTX 3090), I have had just too many problems with it ... that were there before GSP-RM ! I tried to report it to nouveau mailing list, but I guess they must be busy with the new firmware and code path.

Basically the only things that did work were vkmark and DX 11 benchmarks in wine (Unigine Heaven and Unigine Valley). I am only talking benchmarks, no game titles. Plain OpenGL benchmarks give a kref error about missing channel/device, except (surprisinlgy) Unigine Heaven on QHD max quality. LuxMark also crashed with both plain OpenCL frontend (export NOUVEA_ENABLE_CL=1) and with rusticl. clpeak benchmark worked ... half-way, then gave an error. Surprisingly the GFLOPS reported by clpeak were close to the published values on TPU

Is suppose other chipstes do better, though. I have a TU102 (2080 Ti) that I did not test yet.

Comment

Working...
        X