Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM Begins Work On Power11 Enablement For Upcoming Linux 6.9

Phoronix: IBM Begins Work On Power11 Enablement For Upcoming Linux 6.9

The first "Power11" patches were queued today into the PowerPC's "next" Git branch ahead of the upcoming Linux 6.9 kernel cycle...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

Typo (extra word)

"This patch adds the Power11 performance monitoring support that is too largely carried over from Power10.​" Remove the word "too".

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
      Michael

Typo (extra word)

"This patch adds the Power11 performance monitoring support that is too largely carried over from Power10.​" Remove the word "too".
      It's awkward wording but I don't think it's a typo, he's using "too" as in "also", referencing the prior sentence that also talked about the Power11 architected and raw mode also being largely similar to Power10.

I'm also excited to see if IBM returns to a more fully open processor like Power9. New Raptor systems would be exciting, it's been quite a few years now since they had anything truly new to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
        Michael

Typo (extra word)

It's because there aren't any commas wrapping "too". That's one of those English rules most people forget exists.

I'm aware I'm breaking the quotation/period placement rule in the first sentence; the "too". instead of the technically correct "too." The Bash/Zsh writer in me sees "too." as something that'll trigger the interpreter.

Perhaps it's me, but doesn't 'correct "too." The Bash' look straight-up ignorant?

Comment

Hopefully POWER11 hardware means Raptor can offer new hardware designs…

… and cheaper POWER9 options

Comment

Guess there will be at least one Linux distribution that will be ready for Power 11 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6EcmLbk2BM

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post
              Hopefully POWER11 hardware means Raptor can offer new hardware designs…

… and cheaper POWER9 options
              Raptor is stuck with Power9, because Power10 is already "not fully" opensource. Same will be for Power11. Even worse, Raptor prices has gone insane. They are selling 4 core workstation for 8000+ $!!!

Comment

Originally posted by pabloski View Post

Raptor is stuck with Power9, because Power10 is already "not fully" opensource. Same will be for Power11. Even worse, Raptor prices has gone insane. They are selling 4 core workstation for 8000+ $!!!
                Raptor is so stuck that it manufactures its own Power ISA 3.1 fully compatible blob-free chip: Solid Silicon S1 (basically a Power 10 minus the blobs). It's not technically Raptor, but it looks like Raptor Eng. owns the Solid Silicon domain...
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

For those that are not aware, the Power 10 CPUs are based on an open source ISA, they have SMT8 so each chip is 15C/120T and they have massive performance in many workloads, thanks to built in hardware accelerators.

If I was going to start a Linux based company selling custom computers meant for various sectors, like AI, scientific computing, business analysis or even the general public, this is what I would use.

Would love to have something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                    For those that are not aware, the Power 10 CPUs are based on an open source ISA, they have SMT8 so each chip is 15C/120T and they have massive performance in many workloads, thanks to built in hardware accelerators.

If I was going to start a Linux based company selling custom computers meant for various sectors, like AI, scientific computing, business analysis or even the general public, this is what I would use.

Would love to have something like this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power10
                    Linux is growing and the future is open, but at @ IBM we're only interested in selling you services and dump hardware -IBM

Comment

Working...
                    X