Nouveau Driver Squeezes In Some Last Minute Minor Additions For Linux 6.8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nouveau Driver Squeezes In Some Last Minute Minor Additions For Linux 6.8

Phoronix: Nouveau Driver Squeezes In Some Last Minute Minor Additions For Linux 6.8

Sent in overnight was this week's batch of DRM "fixes" for Linux 6.8 that included some mostly minor fixes plus a few notable but small patches to Nouveau, the upstream open-source NVIDIA DRM/KMS kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I've bought a half dozen AMD RX 5700 or RX 5700 XT GPUs off eBay in the last few weeks to replace the few Nvidia GPUs I still had in home theater PCs and a few other machines for family. It will be great if Nouveau gets reasonably close to the proprietary driver performance wise though. Eventually the dirt cheap used workstations on eBay will have Nvidia GPUs new enough to rely on the GSP. It would be great to not have to replace those for a more worry / frustration free Linux experience.

Comment

Michael

Typo

"series and hewer." should be "newer"

Comment

Good to see these make it into Linux 6.8, since that is what will ship with Ubuntu 24.04 LTS.

Comment

Can nouveau enable ReBAR on GTX 1000 (Pascal) and RTX 2000 (Turing) series ?

Because there is now an UEFI mod on github that can enable it on the PCI bus, and it works on Windows for the RTX 2000 line

Comment

My 2080 Ti is still not working with GSP-RM. If I enable the kernel parameter, I only get CPU based software rendering in my Fedora 39. I have the daily kernel (vanilla kernel) and Mesa 24.1.0 built from source.

Comment

Originally posted by toughy View Post
              My 2080 Ti is still not working with GSP-RM. If I enable the kernel parameter, I only get CPU based software rendering in my Fedora 39. I have the daily kernel (vanilla kernel) and Mesa 24.1.0 built from source.
              Do you have the necessary firmware files?

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

Do you have the necessary firmware files?
                Yes.

I also installed Arch Linux now, since people reported success with it. Using the default linux kernel in Arch I can enable NvGspRm=1, and I get hardware rendering, but performance is still at 3 FPS in Unigine Valley FHD (same as no GSP-RM). Using the latest linux-drm-next-git from AUR, I get software rendering again. Same as Fedora 39 and openSUSE tw with the daily kernel

Comment

Originally posted by toughy View Post

Yes.

I also installed Arch Linux now, since people reported success with it. Using the default linux kernel in Arch I can enable NvGspRm=1, and I get hardware rendering, but performance is still at 3 FPS in Unigine Valley FHD (same as no GSP-RM). Using the latest linux-drm-next-git from AUR, I get software rendering again. Same as Fedora 39 and openSUSE tw with the daily kernel
                  Is Unigine using OpenGL or Vulkan? Even with hardware accel, OpenGL performance is going to be trash because of the old shader compiler, you have to use Zink atop Vulkan to get close to reasonable performance.

Comment

Originally posted by QwertyChouskie View Post

Is Unigine using OpenGL or Vulkan? Even with hardware accel, OpenGL performance is going to be trash because of the old shader compiler, you have to use Zink atop Vulkan to get close to reasonable performance.
                    OpenGL (plus DX9 and DX11 on Windows or wine).

I tried with Zink as well (NOUVEAU_USE_ZINK=1), same FPS, but the image was flickering blue (same flicker as my 3090, which has good performance with GSP, 100+ FPS). I had dmesg errors that appeared to be per-frame or periodic (per-second)

Comment

Working...
                    X