Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mesa NVK Vulkan Driver Now Declared Vulkan 1.3 Conformant, Mesa 24.1 To Build By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa NVK Vulkan Driver Now Declared Vulkan 1.3 Conformant, Mesa 24.1 To Build By Default

Phoronix: Mesa NVK Vulkan Driver Now Declared Vulkan 1.3 Conformant, Mesa 24.1 To Build By Default

It's a big day today in the open-source NVIDIA Nouveau/NVK space... The Mesa NVK driver is now officially declared a Vulkan 1.3 conformant implementation by the Khronos Group! In turn the NVK driver is no longer considered experimental and with Mesa 24.1 will build by default for x86/x86_64-based installations...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

👏 awesome

Comment

The Khronos listing also shows RTX 2080 Ti as supported and Vulkan 1.3 conformant.

But I just can't get it working with GSP. If I enable NvGspRm=1 on the kernel command line, I get software rendering only, or 3 FPS performance same as without GSP. No error in dmesg

Comment

Originally posted by toughy View Post
        The Khronos listing also shows RTX 2080 Ti as supported and Vulkan 1.3 conformant.

But I just can't get it working with GSP. If I enable NvGspRm=1 on the kernel command line, I get software rendering only, or 3 FPS performance same as without GSP. No error in dmesg
        you are using linux 6.8, right?

Comment

is awesome work in a short time of Faith Ekstrand​. personally i think nvidia must be pay a huge for make this

Comment

I haven't been on green team for quite a few years now.
            How good is nVidia open source stack, compared to closed version ?
            Does it support CUDA stuff ?

Wait, so kernel driver is actually open-sourced by nVidia ? Is it part of the official kernel ?
            Last edited by Brane215; 28 February 2024, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

Wait, so kernel driver is actually open-sourced by nVidia ? Is it part of the official kernel ?
              its still pretty garbage. if you want good open source, stick with amd / intel gpu's.

Comment

Impressive work from the NVK team.

Maybe with NVK in the future NVIDIA GPUs are going to have proper Wayland support.

Comment

Originally posted by Brane215 View Post

No, Nvidia is not behind the Open Source driver, the previous poster was saying Nvidia should pay him for his work.

The open source stack does not include Cuda. I am happy to be wrong about that, though.

Comment

As of today, NVK is now a conformant Vulkan 1.3 implementation on Turing (RTX 2000 and GTX 1600 series), Ampere (RTX 3000 series), and Ada (RTX 4000 series) GPUs.

Comment

Working...
                    X