Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GNOME Shell & Mutter 46 RC Brings Modifier-Aware Screencasting, VRR & X.Org Sync Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Shell & Mutter 46 RC Brings Modifier-Aware Screencasting, VRR & X.Org Sync Fix

Phoronix: GNOME Shell & Mutter 46 RC Brings Modifier-Aware Screencasting, VRR & X.Org Sync Fix

In preparation for the GNOME 46 release candidate, the "46.rc" versions of GNOME Shell and Mutter were published this morning. The release candidate work is mostly about fixing outstanding issues but there are also some lingering fixes that made it into these releases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

sending fractional scaling events immediately on window creation
    What? Are clients not allowed to query the scaling factor in Wayland?

Comment

The release candidate work is mostly about fixing outstanding issues but there are also some lingering fixes that made it into these releases.
      What's in your head, your git head?
      Zombie, zombie, zombie-ie-ie-ie
      Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh, eh-eh oh, ya-ya​

Dammit, that sentence ear wigged me with the wrong Cranberries song

When you're hacking with your finger
      Do you have to let it linger?
      Do you have to, do you have to, do you have to let it linger?​

Looks like GNOME 46 is shaping up to be good release.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

The scaling depends on the monitor and clients can't control where the compositor will put their window. Further more things get more difficult if the window overlaps multiple monitors with different scales. Thus the protocol was designed to just make it the responsibility of the compositor to send clients a preferred value - at the time when they see fit.Previously the fractional scale was only send when the window actually got mapped, now it's send when Mutter made the decision where to place it.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

AFAIK, they can but there is a chicken and egg problem for the first frame. Normal way was you draw a surface, then you query its properties. but that could mean the first frame drawn is wrong due to timing, so getting more information up front can be helpful.

Comment

If only they added a decent window management option to their window manager, instead of just placing windows on top of each other in a cascade fashion.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Suddenly, something has happened to you.
              As you were having your pull from git
              It's because of your animal.
              your animal instinct

Comment

For Fedora 40 users/testers: https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/upda...024-76d0460b09 46.rc1 is on its way

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

out of all the places to get Dolores' voice stuck in my head, I did not think it would be here lol

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

out of all the places to get Dolores' voice stuck in my head, I did not think it would be here lol
                    You never know what to expect from me. Wildcard Bitches! Yeeeeee-hawwww!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X