Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.9 Graphics Drivers Prepare For RDNA3 Refresh & RDNA4, More Intel Xe Driver Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.9 Graphics Drivers Prepare For RDNA3 Refresh & RDNA4, More Intel Xe Driver Work

Phoronix: Linux 6.9 Graphics Drivers Prepare For RDNA3 Refresh & RDNA4, More Intel Xe Driver Work

David Airlie has submitted all of the Direct Rendering Manager (DRM) kernel graphics/display driver updates today for Linux 6.9...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hope AMD's RDNA4 and whatever Nvidia does with the RTX 50xx series is less garbage for us consumers in terms of performance uplift and cost than we got with RDNA3 and RTX 40xx.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
      I hope AMD's RDNA4 and whatever Nvidia does with the RTX 50xx series is less garbage for us consumers in terms of performance uplift and cost than we got with RDNA3 and RTX 40xx.
      Isn't AMD just tweaking it a bit to hopefully obtain more sales? They can't even product a card that can compete with the 5080/5090 - so, they are probably saving up their attempts at competition for RDNA 5?
      Sources have told popular YouTuber RedGamingTech that AMD's upcoming RDNA 4 graphics cards will only see a roughly 25 percent ray tracing performance uplift over the Radeon...

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post
        I just hope they (AMD) start offering better ROCm/AI/ML support on consumer/gaming hardware. There are two reasons why NVIDIA has the lead and they go hand in hand with each other. Anyone can buy practically any newish NVIDIA GPU and be able to tinker around on any Linux distribution. With AMD you have to buy the expensive professional GPUs and limit yourself to the distributions that AMD specifically supports.

AMD/NVIDIA Professional Use Comparison
        Maker Distributions Graphics Cards Open/Closed
        AMD Limited Limited Open
        NVIDIA All All Closed

If you limit yourself to just Open and Closed you're only seeing 1/3 of the picture. I'm an AMD user and I'll keep buying AMD GPUs and CPUs, but they really need to realize that Open ≠​ Available & Usable if they want to attract people who want to do more than play games on Linux. Aside from a Control Panel I'm happy with AMD and Open, but I'm neither a professional nor a whale buying tens to hundreds of GPUs to support my devs. I'm just me buying a $300-$400 GPU every few years to play games.

And then there's AMD dropping support for platforms that are 2-4 years old. Quit doing that. Stop it. No. That's a bad AMD. Don't make me get the spray bottle and rolled up newspaper to make scary noises with.
        Last edited by skeevy420; 13 March 2024, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I just hope they (AMD) start offering better ROCm/AI/ML support on consumer/gaming hardware. There are two reasons why NVIDIA has the lead and they go hand in hand with each other. Anyone can buy practically any newish NVIDIA GPU and be able to tinker around on any Linux distribution. With AMD you have to buy the expensive professional GPUs and limit yourself to the distributions that AMD specifically supports.

AMD/NVIDIA Professional Use Comparison
          Maker Distributions Graphics Cards Open/Closed
          AMD Limited Limited Open
          NVIDIA All All Closed

If you limit yourself to just Open and Closed you're only seeing 1/3 of the picture. I'm an AMD user and I'll keep buying AMD GPUs and CPUs, but they really need to realize that Open ≠​ Available & Usable if they want to attract people who want to do more than play games on Linux. Aside from a Control Panel I'm happy with AMD and Open, but I'm neither a professional nor a whale buying tens to hundreds of GPUs to support my devs. I'm just me buying a $300-$400 GPU every few years to play games.

And then there's AMD dropping support for platforms that are 2-4 years old. Quit doing that. Stop it. No. That's a bad AMD. Don't make me get the spray bottle and rolled up newspaper to make scary noises with.
          Well, if you have an apu with ryzen ai, it seems you can play with it a bit:

Do you know GPT-based Large Language Models (LLMs) that are running locally on your AMD Ryzen™ AI PC or Radeon™ 7000 Series Graphics Card can help you code with confidence. Not only do they not require an internet connection – but your conversations stay private and on your local machine. You can us...

Seems there is a beta linux version of the lmstudio and there are xdna driver for the npu and rocm for the gpu. Haven't tried it since I lack the hardware but hoping that maybe someone here could try it...

Comment

Update: Gonna be garbage - they are staying on GDDR6 and probably gonna regress with the vram, rumor is only 18 Gbps GDDR6. Pretty pathetic. Nvidia is a monopoly and AMD doesn't even try with their gpu division - they've neglected it for years - both the hardware and software side. They invested and concentrated with the cpu part vs Intel. That's where their focus is. As for the gaming consoles, big deal - light weight gpu hardware in those things is pretty minor stuff - in fact, isn't it an assertion on there that the console hardware divisions of companies - MS, Sony etc. - lost money? So, that area of computing is really an afterthought and AMD isn't concentrating on putting out good gpu hardware and software.

Today, we have the latest round of leaks that suggest that AMD's upcoming RDNA 4 graphics cards, codenamed the "RX 8000-series," might continue to rely on GDDR6 memory modules. According to Kepler on X, the next-generation GPUs from AMD are expected to feature 18 Gbps GDDR6 memory, marking the fourt...

AMD neglects their engineering and R&D regarding their gpu division and that's why Nvidia will be laughing for quite a long time - pretty sad and depressing and AMD should get all the criticism possible from ppl here - they need a good swift kick in the rear. Maybe Intel can make a dent in the Nvidia monopoly? Yeah, I know....fat chance...

Comment

Working...
            X