Linux 6.9 Has A Big Rework To CPU Timers - Some Power/Performance Benefits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.9 Has A Big Rework To CPU Timers - Some Power/Performance Benefits

Phoronix: Linux 6.9 Has A Big Rework To CPU Timers - Some Power/Performance Benefits

The Linux 6.9 kernel has a big rework to the CPU timer code that has been years in the making and has some power and performance benefits...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would be interested to see how the worst-case latency of network irqs is affected by that.

Comment

The amount of required experience and knowledgeable to pull of such refactoring is astonishing.

Really impressive work!

Comment

I don't know what this is about, but it is 2024 and it still occurs that under heavy load my system becomes unresponsive to keyboard presses and the mouse cursor not moving when I move the mouse.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I don't know what this is about, but it is 2024 and it still occurs that under heavy load my system becomes unresponsive to keyboard presses and the mouse cursor not moving when I move the mouse.
          Maybe limit process resources using containers or cgroups?
          The only time this has happened to me was on a single core cpu and intentional fork-bomb

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            If you (or and.elf) are looking for easy drop-in resource management, you may be interested in Simple Slices. It's not done yet, but totally usable.

Comment

Does that mean with 12 cores, each of 8 cores will be handling 2.7x less timer interrupts than each of the other 4 cores?

If so, is that basically like setting 8 cores to tickless?

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
                The amount of required experience and knowledgeable to pull of such refactoring is astonishing.

Really impressive work!
                Yes, there are standard "full-stack" MERN Mongo/Express/React/Node developers and kernel developers. On the opposite ends of the bell curve.

Comment

Working...
                X