Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL3 Preview Release Aims To Help Test The New SDL 3.0 API

Phoronix: SDL3 Preview Release Aims To Help Test The New SDL 3.0 API

Sam Lantinga released an SDL preview release today of SDL3 for helping to encourage developers to test out the new SDL 3.0 API...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

My dream is for Japanese / Korean developers to know this awesome FOSS project, because I know how awful joystick configuration can be in some of their games ported to PC.

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
      My dream is for Japanese / Korean developers to know this awesome FOSS project, because I know how awful joystick configuration can be in some of their games ported to PC.
      I bet Sony will start using it. Then they will migrate to Linux.

Comment

Sam Lantinga's been at this for around 25 years or so. I think he's slightly under-credited for his contributions to Linux gaming honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post
          I bet Sony will start using it. Then they will migrate to Linux.
          Sony is the least of the problems, there are a lot of smaller studios that could benefit using SDL in favor of whatever they use right now in their ports.

Comment

Why it's tagged as 3.1.0 preview if it's supposed to be 3.0 release?

Comment

I hope consistency has been reworked a lot LOT because last time I used it, it was all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by slagiewka View Post
                Why it's tagged as 3.1.0 preview if it's supposed to be 3.0 release?
                All 3.0 feature development happened in version 3.0.
                Starting from 3.1, all unstable releases have an uneven minor version number, and stable releases have an even minor version number.
                The ABI/API of unstable releases is not fixed. In other words backwards or forwards compatibility is NOT guaranteed.
                The ABI/API of stable releases is backwards and forwards compatible.

The 3.1.0 release is a signal for SDL users to start using the library and a (little) promise nothing major will change.
                When a stable 3.2.0 is released, no more unstable releases will be done.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                  I hope consistency has been reworked a lot LOT because last time I used it, it was all over the place.
                  A lot of functions (and types) have been renamed for greater consistency.
                  Please give it a try! It's always nice to receive (constructive!) feedback from outsiders.

Comment

https://github.com/libsdl-org/SDL/pull/9345 they might revert defaulting to Wayland due to fifo protocol still in review. Anyone tested Khronos Vulkan Samples with wayland only ?

Comment

Working...
                    X