Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL Developers Weigh Reverting Wayland Over X11 For SDL 3.0

Phoronix: SDL Developers Weigh Reverting Wayland Over X11 For SDL 3.0

With the SDL library that's widely-used by cross-platform games with the current SDL 3.0 development code it prefers Wayland over X11, but a new pull request would temporarily revert that on the basis of the Wayland ecosystem still not being up to par...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At this point would it make sense to implement the protocols, but fallback to X11 if those protocols are not implemented (aka you use gnome)?

Comment

Based, as always wayland taking massive Ls

Comment

Xorg trolls, do not celebrate yet.... Issues like this are GOOD, because they lead to the implementation of new protocols to solve them.... Eventually Wayland will be a rock solid default for SDL 3.0 . No matter how much you spread FUD and troll against Wayland, Xorg is dead. Deal with it.

Comment

Defaults are defaults and X only apps in wayland have been supported and worked fine for a while, whats the problem with taking it slow, especially if its a choice to use or not? Anyway. I really am selfishly hoping for faster wayland movement due to the monitor features (adaptive sync/hdr/color/etc) and things like SDL can only benefit from that.

(I trust that people say they have problems with wayland and mean it but i really haven't had problems in years that weren't HW related, duplicated or worse in X. I wish I knew the magic formula to help other people. Clean home/etc periodically? New hardware? Rolling/updated distro like arch/manjaro? All my wayland systems that run flawlessly are AMD and one amd muxed laptop with an nvidia controller (works 100% except sleep which doesn't work in windows either) with arch or manjaro. I suspect using wayland on ubuntu lts 18 or 20 on a 7 yr old corporate-hand-me-down with old unsupported nvidia card would be a much less pleasant experience.)

Comment

16 years

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
              Xorg trolls, do not celebrate yet.... Issues like this are GOOD, because they lead to the implementation of new protocols to solve them.... Eventually Wayland will be a rock solid default for SDL 3.0 . No matter how much you spread FUD and troll against Wayland, Xorg is dead. Deal with it.
              My gripe with Wayland replacing X11 is that Wayland wasn't , or isn't, a complete solution even theoretically. We're getting there, but it has taken a long, long time. Had "someone" actually planned a complete ecosystem instead of having small islands of software, we would have had a much easier transition.

According to https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Window_System the X11 protocol was finalised 1987, three years after initial release.
              ​​​​​​Wayland had its initial release 15 years ago, and its ecosystem is still not feature complete, comparatively.
              ​​
              Last edited by S.Pam; 26 March 2024, 12:15 PM.

Comment

one step forwards, one step back. one step forwards, one step back. one step forwards, one step back. one step forwards, one step back.

Comment

These are issues which can only be obvious in hindsight, that is after Wayland gets wide use and feedback from the game developers and gamers. They'll be fixed by the the new protocols. (Except maybe on GNOME as said above!)

The big advantage of Wayland by default is it gets testing coverage for Wayland, and encourages developers to make their software work well with Wayland even if it's slightly worse than X11 in some aspects currently. Other than specific bugs and hidpi issues I can't say I've really noticed, it's certainly better than when I first switched to Wayland!

The X11 backend has drawbacks too; I hardly ever run *any* X11 software, it's pretty much just Steam. I compile as much as possible without X11 support at all since I don't need it. I do notice the extra memory consumption when XWayland is used. There are the completely different hidpi issues with XWayland!

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
                    16 years
                    Do you know when X11 will get HDR support? I mean, its out for 40 years now.

Comment

Working...
                    X