Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDL3 Will Keep Wayland Default At Least For The Time Being

Phoronix: SDL3 Will Keep Wayland Default At Least For The Time Being

Following several days of discussions from both sides of the table over whether SDL 3.0 should revert its Wayland over X11 preference in light of some aspects of the Wayland ecosystem support not being in good shape, for now at least SDL 3.0 is sticking to the Wayland support by default. It may be revisited though closer to release to see how the upstream support is for users of this hardware/software abstraction library widely used by cross-platform games...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm here for the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by kurkosdr View Post
      I expect good points to be made from both sides in a logical and calm manner without any name calling or gas lighting whatsoever. The dialog here will be productive, and the underlying problems are going to be solved with a nice round of civil discussions on the issues and possible solutions.

​​​​​​
      ...Right?

Comment

Originally posted by kurkosdr View Post
        You mean the comments from well informed Phoronix users who definitely read the article and linked references thoroughly and are well known for providing thoughtful, nuanced and well informed commentary that are always a delight to read? Same

Comment

my conspiracy theory was that the pr was just Valve giving a push for the wayland protocol be finalized and merged, like they are totally on board with SDL3 having wayland as default, not that i'm complaining tho, sometimes things need a little push
          Last edited by Brittle2; 27 March 2024, 12:41 PM.

Comment

im glad wayland is being preferred. Lets hope its ready as default by 3.0 release.

Comment

I'm 100% for Wayland, but these protocols should not take multiple years to be merged. This is a serious problem, and Red Hat keep employing the same guys that like to stall protocols for no good reason and make contributing to Wayland a torture. No wonder the narrative that Wayland is an invention by Red Hat to destroy the Linux desktop is gaining steam.

Or these same 3 or 4 guys do something, or they should to be fired to Wayland go forward.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
                I'm 100% for Wayland, but these protocols should not take multiple years to be merged. This is a serious problem, and Red Hat keep employing the same guys that like to stall protocols for no good reason and make contributing to Wayland a torture. No wonder the narrative that Wayland is an invention by Red Hat to destroy the Linux desktop is gaining steam.

Or these same 3 or 4 guys do something, or they should to be fired to Wayland go forward.
                Ah yes, let's blame the company willing to hire people with a dumb conspiracy and somehow fire the very few people you aren't paying for at all and those who are willing to work on things. That will definitely make things go forward. Brilliant

Comment

"As the water breached to fill our lungs the voice of the yeomen still rang piercing and hollow upon our ears.

'There is nothing to fear. All is well.'"
                  SearingTruth

Comment

Originally posted by spicfoo View Post

Ah yes, let's blame the company willing to hire people with a dumb conspiracy and somehow fire the very few people you aren't paying for at all and those who are willing to work on things. That will definitely make things go forward. Brilliant
                    It is dumb conspiracy, I don't believe in that at all. But when these people have so much power in a critical project, and they use it to stall or block important protocols, for sometimes half a decade, it becomes a question if these people, very knowledgeable or not, are beneficial to the community as a whole.

We don't need the perfect protocols, we need something that works right now, it has been 15 fucking years already!

Comment

Working...
                    X