Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust-Written Redox OS Enjoys Significant Performance Improvements

Phoronix: Rust-Written Redox OS Enjoys Significant Performance Improvements

The open-source Rust-written Redox OS has enjoyed "significant" performance and corectness improvements to its kernel recently as it further shows off the capability of this from-scratch OS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's great for the 5 users of this system!
    ----
    Sorry, didn't mean to be condescending, but I couldn't help myself, as this is usually one of the first comments.

On a serious note: great to see improvements like this! Does it run well in a virtual machine? I want to give it a spin.

Comment

I think that while the desktop approach to redox is admirable, it would be far more likely to see it modified and implemented in a high reliability context.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
        I think that while the desktop approach to redox is admirable, it would be far more likely to see it modified and implemented in a high reliability context.
        Exactly! I think there is a big unfulfilled demand for an embedded RTOS implemented in a safety oriented language. More so than yet another Linux desktop wannabe.

... But, who am I to second guess, what the developers should spend their time on...

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          That's great for the 5 users of this system!
          Still more than GNU/Hurd, which is "only" a Kernel and not an entire operating system, which predates Linux I think.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

Still more than GNU/Hurd, which is "only" a Kernel and not an entire operating system, which predates Linux I think.
            +1 that's the most hilarious aspect of this stuff

Comment

While I'm not going to use it anytime soon, I think it's a really cool project.
              New operating systems is not something you see very often, especially if it's open source, already kinda working and written in Rust.
              In the long run, it may become a viable option, due to less maintenance burden, good performance and higher security.
              It will take years though.

Comment

This is one project that I was very excited about, however it is still in a very raw state, nearly unusable,

I tested the live version of an Ice Lake laptop and even though it would boot, it was impossible to interact with it, the the keyboard didn't work, nor did the usb mouse or the touch pad.

It reminded me of the early days of Linux, where hardware support was very finicky.

It would be great if this, or HAIKU, became a viable option.

Comment

Michael

Typo

"corectness improvements" should probably be "correctness improvements"

Comment

I'd like to see this become something decent, at least decent enough for webbrowsing, the initial size stuff i'm seeing is quite nice. I could for sure see myself setting this up in library sort of ecosystem

Comment

Working...
                    X