Linux Mint 22 Will Use The PipeWire Sound Server, Support JPEG-XL Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint 22 Will Use The PipeWire Sound Server, Support JPEG-XL Images

Phoronix: Linux Mint 22 Will Use The PipeWire Sound Server, Support JPEG-XL Images

In their March status update, the Linux Mint team shares more details on their forthcoming Linux Mint 22 release that will be based off Ubuntu 24.04 LTS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There are always people who criticize GNOME, but this time, whether it is GNOME Web, Files or Image Viewer, the JPEG XL format is already well supported 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by Okki View Post
      There are always people who criticize GNOME, but this time, whether it is GNOME Web, Files or Image Viewer, the JPEG XL format is already well supported 🙂
      the question here is, who uses jpeg xl?

Comment

I've been using Pipewire on Linux Mint for probably a few years now, works great.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

The clever ones

Comment

Originally posted by Okki View Post
            What does this have to do with gnome? Linux mint don’t ship it.

Comment

People who enjoy paying patent licenses. And people who are excited about saving 10% bandwidth on images (but don't watch movies)

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post

What does this have to do with gnome? Linux mint don’t ship it.
                It doesn't have the slightest connection. But as we always have our lot of morons who don't use GNOME but feel obliged to comment on every news about GNOME to complain that development isn't fast enough or to their liking, I just wanted to say that all the new features announced in the news were already available in GNOME. It's childish, but it makes me happy 🙂

Comment

I use it pretty much globally. On android I use a fork of the simple mobile tools gallery (now fossify gallery) https://github.com/oupson/Jxl-Gallery but other then that, every app I use supports JXL so I convert everything to JXL on a scheduled basis​. It winds up saving a large chunk of space. I save around 30~ percent vs PNGs and transcoding jpegs saves me about 15% on them. so it adds up to a lot of you store a lot of images.

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
                  People who enjoy paying patent licenses. And people who are excited about saving 10% bandwidth on images (but don't watch movies)
                  Is this an april fools joke?

Comment

A lot of people do. That includes me. I'll get JPEG-XL into every distribution and software if it's the last thing I do.

Comment

Working...
                    X