Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenCL 3.0.16 Released With One New Extension, Semaphores & External Memory Finalized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenCL 3.0.16 Released With One New Extension, Semaphores & External Memory Finalized

Phoronix: OpenCL 3.0.16 Released With One New Extension, Semaphores & External Memory Finalized

OpenCL 3.0 debuted back in 2020 and while we haven't heard talks of any major revision on the horizon, it does continue to see new point releases. Released on Thursday was OpenCL 3.0.16 that adds one new extension while finalizing eight formerly provisional extensions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Today's reality are custom user space kernel modules(sometimes called programs) and if some language(or compiled to) could benefit some new CPU capabilities the OpenCL way due some lang, it could maybe gain some SuperPower and beat in some specific workload CPU program somehow when CPU is idle , but only if somehow .NET or superior langs is Moore

Comment

Originally posted by elbar View Post
      Today's reality are custom user space kernel modules(sometimes called programs) and if some language(or compiled to) could benefit some new CPU capabilities the OpenCL way due some lang, it could maybe gain some SuperPower and beat in some specific workload CPU program somehow when CPU is idle , but only if somehow .NET or superior langs is Moore
      What is this nonsense supposed to mean?

Comment

Is any program really making use of OpenCL? I thought OpenCL was meant to be a universal interface, hardware independent, for any sort of GPU/CPU calculations. However, 99% of tools seem to be bound to Ngreedias CUDA and the likes. It would be so nice if we had something that would "simply work"(TM).
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Gwen View Post

What is this nonsense supposed to mean?
          I think thats an AI test bot. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            Is any program really making use of OpenCL? I thought OpenCL was meant to be a universal interface, hardware independent, for any sort of GPU/CPU calculations. However, 99% of tools seem to be bound to Ngreedias CUDA and the likes. It would be so nice if we had something that would "simply work"(TM).
            They did their part to sabotage it. But you can also fault shintel, AMD and the kronos group.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id...pport%20Nvidia.

Comment

hashcat, libreoffice, some others.

Comment

OpenCL is used yes, it's just a little unwieldy, but i'm sure there's quite a lot of programs that do use it, blender used to use it but bailed on it

OpenCL rendering support was removed. The combination of the limited Cycles kernel implementation, driver bugs, and stalled OpenCL standard has made maintenance too difficult. We are working with hardware vendors to bring back GPU rendering support on AMD and Intel GPUs, using others APIs.
                then implemented it again

ffmpeg uses it....

Here's a list even https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...L_applications

Comment

Darktable and Davinci Resolve.

But yes, it should be far more popular that it is now. Somehow rocm seems to be more popular choice, even though usually it doesn't work. And cuda of course. Now they will add third Intel option for every app, because it's easier and better to have multiple APIs, for example named "OneAPI", "OpenAPI", "SingleAPI" and "UniAPI", every of them working - as the names suggest - for only one GPU type.

Jokes aside, I know that OpenCL is not perfect, and probably like 10% slower than dedicated API, but still I don't quite get why it's so unpopular especially in open source world, that cares about freedom etc.
                  Last edited by sobrus; 06 April 2024, 03:20 AM.

Comment

i really had exactly the same thoughts .. it looks like that even Vulkan Compute has higher marketshare then OpenCL..
                    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                    X