Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo Linux Now An SPI Project

Phoronix: Gentoo Linux Now An SPI Project

While the Gentoo Foundation has long existed, to reduce the organizational complexity and overhead as well as becoming effectively a tax deductible non-profit at the US federal level, Gentoo Linux has become an associated project with Software in the Public Interest (SPI)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Great news. Gentoo is one of the few truly unique Linux variants out there.

Comment

Thank you Gentoo devs for keeping me as a Linux nerd! I hope extra cash will end up in your pockets!

Comment

I would have preferred Open Collective for the transparency when the funds are used but to each their own.

Comment

Gentoo is a great framework for putting together an OS! I haven't daily driven it in probably 10 years, but I have built a few web browsing appliances with Gentoo tuned to their specs. Gentoo was also the place I compiled my first custom Linux kernel so will always have a special place in my heart, this was back when we had single core processors that were 32 bit so the compilation took its sweet time. Nowadays, we have Chromium and Chrome OS to thank because of the Gentoo project. Hope they get all the money they need to survive a long time!

Comment

This is not a good thing.

When I the read article and followed the link to get a more detailed explanation, the stated benefits and stated issues this would resolve painted a picture of an organization in financial trouble.

Sure enough, Gentoo itself confirms this with their financial statements:

Gentoo is representative of nearly all open source projects, you have people that may know how to write code, sometimes, but they don't know how to make money because they are hampered by an absurd ideology that treats earning cash like a stigma.

The Gentoo Foundation could learn a thing or two from the Linux Foundation and I am not talking about coding.
            Last edited by sophisticles; 10 April 2024, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
              This is not a good thing.

When I read article and followed the link to get a more detailed explanation, the stated benefits and stated issues this would resolve painted a picture of an organization in financial trouble.

Sure enough, Gentoo itself confirms this with their financial statements:

Gentoo is representative of nearly all open source projects, you have people that may know how to write code, sometimes, but they don't know how to make money because they are hampered by an absurd ideology that treats earning cash like a stigma.

The Gentoo Foundation could learn a think or two from the Linux Foundation and I am not talking about coding.
              You mean like how to totally sell out its users in favor of profits for a few select and unaccountable corporate overlords? Yeah, it really does lag behind in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMightyBuzzard View Post
                You mean like how to totally sell out its users in favor of profits for a few select and unaccountable corporate overlords? Yeah, it really does lag behind in that area.
                Do you believe Linus sold out?

The Linux Foundation pulls in 177 million dollars a year and among the top 15 financial contributors are Red Hat, Microsoft and Intel.

You remind me of a friend of mine that back in the 90's was telling a bunch of us that U2 had sold out, because they had changed their music.

Another friend that was hanging out with us replied "yeah, they did sell out...of all their albums and concerts".

There is nothing wrong from making a nice fat paycheck from the work you do and if open source contributors would get that through their thick skulls the Linux ecosystem wouldn't be anywhere near as half-assed as it currently is.
                Last edited by sophisticles; 10 April 2024, 10:08 PM.

Comment

The Linux Foundation pulls in 177 million dollars a year and among the top 15 financial contributors are Red Hat, Microsoft and Intel.

You remind me of a friend of mine that back in the 90's was telling a bunch of us that U2 had sold out, because they had changed their music.

Another friend that was hanging out with us replied "yeah, they did sell out...of all their albums and concerts"/

There is nothing wrong from making a nice fat paycheck from the work you do and if open source contributors would get that through their thick skulls the Linux ecosystem wouldn't be anywhere near as half-assed as it currently is.
                  Linus? Linus doesn't owe us shit. It's his baby and he can do whatever he likes with it. Should the day come where corporate kernel settings are made mandatory instead of make flags or config settings, then yes, he will have sold out. Until then, it's a stupid question.

The Linux Foundation didn't "sell out" though. They were created to further corporate interests, and nothing else, right from the start. They're the ones we're being sold to.
                  Last edited by TheMightyBuzzard; 10 April 2024, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Yes, otherwise we would have gcc LTO merged and not only llvm LTO. Also we would have no Rust in the kernel. Finally it is way easier to merge something if your e-mail follows the <username>@<big-corporation-domain-name> pattern.
                    Last edited by marios; 11 April 2024, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X