TUXEDO Computers Launches First Linux Laptop With AMD Ryzen 7 8845HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUXEDO Computers Launches First Linux Laptop With AMD Ryzen 7 8845HS

Phoronix: TUXEDO Computers Launches First Linux Laptop With AMD Ryzen 7 8845HS

While TUXEDO Computers has already been offering powerful AMD Zen 4 laptops such as the Pulse 14 Gen 3 with Ryzen 7 7840HS SoC, today the Bavarian company announced their first Ryzen 8000 series mobile laptop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If it were 17", 4k, and had a 99 Wh battery I'd buy it today

Comment

I commend Tuxedo for entering the arena and trying to make a viable Linux-first laptop...but at that price I'd either go for the Framework 16 so that I'm not stuck with a 7600XT or go for a laptop that has a 4070/4080 (they're cheap, now that we're at the end of this GPU generation cycle).
      Last edited by raystriker; 12 April 2024, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post
        If it were 17", 4k, and had a 99 Wh battery I'd buy it today
        165hz VRR 1440p is a really good choice with that grade of GPU and CPU. I have a 144hz Ultrawide 1440p monitor and games like Elden Ring get 90ish FPS with maxed out settings with my 6700 XT+7800X3D (Flawless Widescreen and that anti-cheat toggle mod FTW). IMHO, and especially so with most modern desktops that scale well, there isn't that much of a visual fidelity improvement from 1440 to 2160 to justify the additional power usage and lowered graphical performance that occurs with the jump to 2160 on mid-range and lesser GPUs.

Comment

Oh wow a laptop shipping AMD discrete mobile graphics. I've been waiting forever for someone to bring out a 7900M offering in the UK (Alienware still haven't) at this rate a 8000M high end might be quicker. Written on my Asus AMD Advantage with 6800M - which is still going strong

Comment

This laptop hits many important notes for me. I'm not in the market for a new laptop, but if I were, I'd either pick this one up or a Framework. I still hold my 13-inch Framework as my #1 due to the upgradability, though I wish there were more screen options for the 13-inch such as >60hz, VRR, and Mini-Led/Oled.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

165hz VRR 1440p is a really good choice with that grade of GPU and CPU. I have a 144hz Ultrawide 1440p monitor and games like Elden Ring get 90ish FPS with maxed out settings with my 6700 XT+7800X3D (Flawless Widescreen and that anti-cheat toggle mod FTW). IMHO, and especially so with most modern desktops that scale well, there isn't that much of a visual fidelity improvement from 1440 to 2160 to justify the additional power usage and lowered graphical performance that occurs with the jump to 2160 on mid-range and lesser GPUs.
              I want 17" so it bridges my legs and I can actually use it comfortably as a laptop. Then I want a 4k screen so I can have 4 1080p-ish windows on screen, as that's a major productivity booster for me. It's a night-and-day different compared to 1440p. When it comes to pixel density, I can easily tell the difference between 1440p and 4k on a 17" laptop: the 1440p display will be pixelated and the 4k will not. My current work laptop is an all-Intel Dell 7750 with a 4k 17" screen and it's perfect at 100% scaling.

It would be nice to have an all-AMD system to not have to deal with Nvidia drivers. I'd like to be able to do a little bit of gaming on top of having a good system for productivity as I travel around. I wouldn't mind playing games at a lower FPS and resolution, as gaming is a secondary concern for me after productivity. The onboard graphics in the i9-10885H my work system has are too weak.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                Oh wow a laptop shipping AMD discrete mobile graphics. I've been waiting forever for someone to bring out a 7900M offering in the UK (Alienware still haven't) at this rate a 8000M high end might be quicker. Written on my Asus AMD Advantage with 6800M - which is still going strong
                This is frustrating for me also. The 7900M was announced and seems to be non-existent. It has also taken a long time for them to fill in the huge gap between the 7900M and 7600M. I do want a dGPU. But if I'm going to buy something with a dGPU, I want something beefier like a 78xx class.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rose View Post

I want 17" so it bridges my legs and I can actually use it comfortably as a laptop. Then I want a 4k screen so I can have 4 1080p-ish windows on screen, as that's a major productivity booster for me. It's a night-and-day different compared to 1440p. When it comes to pixel density, I can easily tell the difference between 1440p and 4k on a 17" laptop: the 1440p display will be pixelated and the 4k will not. My current work laptop is an all-Intel Dell 7750 with a 4k 17" screen and it's perfect at 100% scaling.

It would be nice to have an all-AMD system to not have to deal with Nvidia drivers. I'd like to be able to do a little bit of gaming on top of having a good system for productivity as I travel around. I wouldn't mind playing games at a lower FPS and resolution, as gaming is a secondary concern for me after productivity. The onboard graphics in the i9-10885H my work system has are too weak.
                  I have a 34" 1440p ultrawide, 27" would be the 16x9 approximation in regards to pixel density, and it isn't something that bothers me. I can notice if I'm trying to pixel peep, but that occurs with 4K and higher resolutions at larger screen sizes, too. Those resolutions and pixel densities are where I'm able to turn off my inner pixel peeper and enjoy everything.

FWIW, I see what you're trying to accomplish with your described workflow, how that varies with my desktop's workflow (and workspace needs/differences due to using ultrawide), and how your setup could exacerbate pixel peeping at 1440p. It sucks that nobody makes a 17"+ 4K AMD laptop with a 7800 to 7900 XT GPU.

At least this is a good midrange entry model that won't ever suck. If it was 4K with the GPU it has there would be times that it'd suck. I say that from the glass half full, gaming and consumer position that if it doesn't suck and sells well enough that perhaps they'll release a higher end AMD model.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I have a 34" 1440p ultrawide, 27" would be the 16x9 approximation in regards to pixel density, and it isn't something that bothers me. I can notice if I'm trying to pixel peep, but that occurs with 4K and higher resolutions at larger screen sizes, too. Those resolutions and pixel densities are where I'm able to turn off my inner pixel peeper and enjoy everything.
                    On the deskop, I find 24" at 4k about perfect (184 PPI), and three of those fit on a desk well. At 27" (163 PPI) I'd see a little pixelation, but it wouldn't be annoying. I recently bought the 57" dual 4k screen for immersion, and its meagre 140 PPI is very pixelated, but it's also my first non-CRT screen with a refresh over 60 Hz. But it's way better than the days of 1440p 27" with an awful 109 PPI.

FWIW, I see what you're trying to accomplish with your described workflow, how that varies with my desktop's workflow (and workspace needs/differences due to using ultrawide), and how your setup could exacerbate pixel peeping at 1440p. It sucks that nobody makes a 17"+ 4K AMD laptop with a 7800 to 7900 XT GPU.

At least this is a good midrange entry model that won't ever suck. If it was 4K with the GPU it has there would be times that it'd suck. I say that from the glass half full, gaming and consumer position that if it doesn't suck and sells well enough that perhaps they'll release a higher end AMD model.
                    I think the big reason why nobody has put the high end mobile AMD GPUs in laptops is their heavy power draw. That's why I'm not as concerned about having the best mobile GPU, because I do want a battery that lasts longer than an hour.

Comment

Working...
                    X