Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Frameworks 6.1 Released With Many Improvements & Fixes

Phoronix: KDE Frameworks 6.1 Released With Many Improvements & Fixes

KDE Frameworks 6.1 is out today as the first monthly update since the release of KDE Frameworks 6.0 alongside KDE Plasma 6.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It's now taking 20 seconds to start a terminal window. Ugh!

Comment

Meantime, Debian, even in its testing and unstable repositories, is stuck at version 5.107, which is 10 months and 2 days old!
      KDE today announces the release of KDE Frameworks 5.107.0.

And guess what, if you ask them why is that, nobody knows or wants to tell you.
      At the same time, a bunch of Debian fanboys jumps on you telling you that it's normal and if you want "shiny new things" you should just use Arch!

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Meantime, Debian, even in its testing and unstable repositories, is stuck at version 5.107, which is 10 months and 2 days old!
        At the same time, a bunch of Debian fanboys jumps on you telling you that it's normal and if you want "shiny new things" you should just use Arch!
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

Originally posted by thomasjkenney View Post
          It's now taking 20 seconds to start a terminal window. Ugh!
          Bug report or it didn't happen.

Comment

Wait, wut? I could understand 6.1, but 6.0 is a different story. Apparently, the Qt maintainers have stepped down (see Setif's post), but that doesn't mean it's okay to tell someone to use Arch for shiny new things. Unstable is unstable for a reason, so it's only normal to expect 6.0 to be in Unstable by now (again: aside from the fact that the Qt maintainers have stepped down).

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Wait, wut? I could understand 6.1, but 6.0 is a different story. Apparently, the Qt maintainers have stepped down (see Setif's post), but that doesn't mean it's okay to tell someone to use Arch for shiny new things. Unstable is unstable for a reason, so it's only normal to expect 6.0 to be in Unstable by now (again: aside from the fact that the Qt maintainers have stepped down).
              I must disagree, there is absolutely no problem with Debian mentioning that if someone wants the latest and greatest to try Arch. Why would anyone be upset by that. Debian is one of the most stable distos on the planet for exactly the reason they are NOT on the bleeding edge. Many of us appreciate that very much.

Comment

Actually the Debian project leader is more than happy to tell you:

Debian: “A bottomless pit of problems” according to Project Leader Jonathan Carter
                When the project leader says that a distro is a “A bottomless pit of problems” what else needs to be said and why would anyone ever use it for anything?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

Actually the Debian project leader is more than happy to tell you:

Well, if it has plenty of money, then they could just hire more developers to fix more problems.
                  Or they have a bad management too, like Mozilla, where most of the money are wasted just on the CEO?

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                  When the project leader says that a distro is a “A bottomless pit of problems” what else needs to be said and why would anyone ever use it for anything?[/
                  Exactly!
                  How come smaller distros, with way less money, developers and users can package almost the latest versions of KDE Plasma and Frameworks and Debian can't?
                  I think the project leader and others in the management of Debian are not telling the whole story.
                  To me it seems that the root of the problems is the management, that doesn't prioritize well how the money are spent and which packages should have a priority over the others.
                  In my opinion every distro that doesn't prioritize the two most modern and developed desktop environments, KDE Plasma and Gnome over the other packages, is a bad distro!
                  It's pretty shitty and useless to have 60-70K packages when your desktop environment and its components are left to rot with old and very old versions!

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Bug report or it didn't happen.
                    I certainly agree. If I don't seem to be an isolated case, and I can't fix it if it's my own blockheaddedness, that's the path.

My pique caused inflation of figures, it's about 8 secs, during which one core goes 20% busy. Other apps are responsive, including big stuff like PHPStorm. Desktop, via RDP, is responsive. This is a KDE Neon VM (Wayland finally!), on VirtualBox on Ubuntu host. It's been running great for most of a year. I ran this AM's update, many pkgs, and this is the first strange thing I noticed.

Comment

Working...
                    X