Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XWayland 24.1 Planned For Release Next Month With Explicit Sync & Other Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XWayland 24.1 Planned For Release Next Month With Explicit Sync & Other Features

Phoronix: XWayland 24.1 Planned For Release Next Month With Explicit Sync & Other Features

The XWayland 23.2 series was introduced last August while now release preparations have begun for releasing XWayland 24.1 as the next feature release for this X.Org Server derived code for allowing X11 clients (apps / games) to work within the confines of Wayland environments...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This year Wayland has kicked it up a notch in great length. Doesn't make the year of Linux, but it sure helps my desktop environment system play better.

Comment

Btw., I recently uninstalled xorg-xwayland to see what software still depends on it. I was surprised how small the list has become!

Comment

I wonder when Mutter is going to drop the EGLStreams backend. KDE dropped it as soon as Nvidia supported GBM and now XWayland is dropping it.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post
          I wonder when Mutter is going to drop the EGLStreams backend. KDE dropped it as soon as Nvidia supported GBM and now XWayland is dropping it.
          well this version of wayland will ship explicit sync support for Wayland and Xwayland, and on the same month Nvidia plans to support those in drivers. Only thing missing will be explicit sync Vulkan WSI, that is planned for 560 Nvidia release. So technically speaking dropping EGLstreams do make a lot of sense now.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
            Btw., I recently uninstalled xorg-xwayland to see what software still depends on it. I was surprised how small the list has become!
            There's an interesting thing going on with Electron/Chromium-based apps where even if they launch as Wayland apps, XWayland launches, and if you kill XWayland it also closes the app. But if you prevent XWayland from launching to begin with, the app launches and runs just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Myownfriend View Post

There's an interesting thing going on with Electron/Chromium-based apps where even if they launch as Wayland apps, XWayland launches, and if you kill XWayland it also closes the app. But if you prevent XWayland from launching to begin with, the app launches and runs just fine.
              The popularity of Electron based apps is a mystery to me. I try to avoid it whenever I can.

Comment

in nice somewhat related news, ext-screencopy (based on wlr-screencopy) seems to be making nice progress. Hopefully we will see it accepted soon. I know myself I really want to use this for screenrecording on cosmic (wf-rec my beloved, I hope it gets ported soon, and ofc grim). It just doesn't feel right without them.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe2021 View Post
                  I can't wait for Wine to completely support Wayland just so I can dump Xwayland.
                  Using experimental builds with the Wayland backend activated already fixed tons of issues!

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

I can't wait for Wine to completely support Wayland just so I can dump Xwayland.
                    Using experimental builds with the Wayland backend activated already fixed tons of issues!
                    Can't wait for Steam to drop XWayland and the arbitrary 32bit lib requirement. Less compiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X