Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

APT 2.9 Released: Debian's APT 3.0 To Have A New UI With Colors, Columnar Display & More

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APT 2.9 Released: Debian's APT 3.0 To Have A New UI With Colors, Columnar Display & More

Phoronix: APT 2.9 Released: Debian's APT 3.0 To Have A New UI With Colors, Columnar Display & More

APT as the packaging tool built around Debian Linux is embarking on some big upgrades with the APT 2.9 development series to then roll-out as APT 3.0. There's big improvements to the command-line user interface with the new APT and it's certainly looking nice from my initial Friday night encounter...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Much more readable indeed.

Comment

Nice improvements. Nala's output still looks even nicer, so I hope this is just the start of more good things to come.

Comment

I'm still waiting a common interface will be done by systemd one day for all package managers [ dnf , apt , pacman , ... ]
        ( Dont get me wrong i'm not against different needs of different package managers, i just want a common interface for endusers )

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post
          I'm still waiting a common interface will be done by systemd one day for all package managers [ dnf , apt , pacman , ... ]
          ( Dont get me wrong i'm not against different needs of different package managers, i just want a common interface for endusers )
          You can use PackageKit, which is how GNOME Software and Plasma Discover are able to work on different distros.

EDIT: I'm not actually sure about Discover, can anyone clarify?

Comment

Originally posted by novideo View Post
            You can use PackageKit, which is how GNOME Software and Plasma Discover are able to work on different distros.

hmm after you mentioned packagekit , yeah this can be acceptable [ but discover or anything like it not ], but still thinking this
            chaos will only finish if anything [ for example packagekit ] bundled in systemd

also packagekit is kind of dead ( if i am correct last feature added to it was 10 years old ) and it is lack of ability to connection to new systems like flatpak or snap
            Last edited by usta; 12 April 2024, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by novideo View Post

Yes, Discover is usually using a PackageKit backend to abstract away the differences in package managers. Works very well these days for apt / dnf. It actually even works well for zypper if you aren't using the Packman repo for Mesa. libzypp is being used in the end, so you are doing the same thing as a zypper dup on Tumbleweed. It will respect zypper locks etc. What it can't do is prompt you if the solver wants you to make some manual choice. But again, if you aren't using Packman that usually doesn't happen. I don't know if PackageKit is calling ostree, that might be its own backend on the immutable Fedora variants.

Comment

That looks like a nice middle ground between aptitude and apt-get, but I still think aptitude is nicer.

Comment

Originally posted by usta View Post

hmm after you mentioned packagekit , yeah this can be acceptable [ but discover or anything like it not ], but still thinking this
                  chaos will only finish if anything [ for example packagekit ] bundled in systemd

also packagekit is kind of dead ( if i am correct last feature added to it was 10 years old ) and it is lack of ability to connection to new systems like flatpak or snap
                  A D-BUS abstraction layer that allows the user to manage packages in a secure way using a cross-distro, cross-architecture API. - Commits · PackageKit/PackageKit

Looks fairly active to me.

Comment

I've never looked back at APT after switching to nala.

Comment

Working...
                    X