Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Busy Week With Landing Explicit Sync & Many Other Changes

Phoronix: KDE's Busy Week With Landing Explicit Sync & Many Other Changes

KDE developers had a very busy week with a lot of new feature work continuing to land for Plasma 6.1 plus continuing to address bugs and other fallout from the recent Plasma 6 introduction...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE's really coming along nicely. I can't wait for Arch or CachyOS to get the updates.

Because I called out GNOME for something very similar recently....

It's a very good, intuitive UI design when menus are placed next to the close button and when the standard window controls change for system elements so we can't use the same passing familiarity with the entire UI.

Personally, I'd prefer the Hamburger to be to the left of the New icon and labeled "Menu" or for Hamburgers to be placed on the title bar, either all the way to the left or to the left of the standard window controls. The older I get, the more I find myself misclicking due to wrist or elbow pains and muscle spasms and it not everything keeps tabs on my tabs like Firefox does. IMHO, and this especially applies to GNOME, if we're gonna be including a lot of whitespace as part of modern, UI designs, can we have a bit of a whitespace, deadzone near the close and window controls?

I know that's one of those user customizable things. I'm just thinking about those who stick with the defaults for whatever reason (like my Dad who thinks changing any setting on anything might break it; dumb stuff like changing ringtones could brick his phone).

Regardless of the desktop environment, I've always wanted Phantom Controls for window manipulation. What I mean is we'd hit a key, move our mouse to a window or tile border, or do a long press and then the window management controls could fade in above the active window or tile. We'd be able to summon up the SSD window management controls instead of them being always on or having a CSD design where a desktop environment's design paradigm forces app developers to adhere to that desktop's preferred way of doing things.

Thinking about it, 90% of the time or more I don't need window management controls. It's either one app full screen or a few apps strategically laid out on their own desktop.

It also doesn't help that title bars and window management controls only make sense on mid-size screens. Once you go too small they take up too much space and, ironically, once you go too large they take up too much space. Anyone that's ever ran a PC on a 55" TV knows what I'm talking about.

Well, it's warmed up outside so I'm gonna go finish building my flower bed. I hope the stain fully dried overnight.

Thank you for coming to my window management control Todd Talk.

Comment

Has GNOME merged it yet?

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
        Has GNOME merged it yet?
        Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Looking forward to Debian finishing this 64-bit time_t migration monstrosity so Plasma maintainers can finally start packaging Plasma 6.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
            KDE's really coming along nicely. I can't wait for Arch or CachyOS to get the updates.
            Note: To build latest Plasma 6 (and its Qt 6 related version), kdesrc-build is available. kde-builder can be used instead.

Comment

skeevy420

We have already backported explicit sync into kwin and xwayland.
              Sadly we cant backport the MESA explicit sync wayland WSI into stable mesa, but if you are on a AMD/Intel Card you install mesa-git from our repositories and it does support it.

to check if its correctly running install "waychecker" launch the program and search for drm-syncobj.

NVIDIA will of course follow as soon available and we did some testing internally (since we will probably push the BETA driver, to have this big improvement), if everything is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                Note: To build latest Plasma 6 (and its Qt 6 related version), kdesrc-build is available. kde-builder can be used instead.
                Sometime around the end of Plasma 5 and the start of Plasma 6 enough of the kdesrc-build environment changed that it wouldn't complete and I just haven't got around to fixing what broke on my end.

I didn't know about kde-builder so thanks for the tip.

Comment

I'd like to see what settings are changed when I switch the power profile via the systray icon. Does anyone know? I think it should be more transparent, I also couln't find anything about it in system settings.

Comment

>The KWrite text editor now has a hamburger menu by default rather than the traditional menu bar.

WHY?

Comment

Working...
                    X