Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 24.1 Zink Lands "Super Fast" Merge Request To Optimize IO

Phoronix: Mesa 24.1 Zink Lands "Super Fast" Merge Request To Optimize IO

Mike Blumenkrantz with Valve's open-source Linux graphics driver team has merged a big optimization / bug fixing effort he's recently been tackling for the Zink OpenGL-on-Vulkan driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Amazing work!!

Fresh Zink benchmarks would be really Interesting

Comment

These kind of optimizations enable so many new apps. Imagine how much old good apps we can now write in inefficient web programming languages by IQ 80 morons using React and Electron.

Comment

What are the odds that old OpenGL apps will receive a noticeable performance improvement out-of-the-box?

Comment

Originally posted by Type44Q View Post
          What are the odds that old OpenGL apps will receive a noticeable performance improvement out-of-the-box?
          More likely, you might see some older cards get some better support through both vulkan and the sw vulkan layer.

Comment

As stated by Mike, the code should be enabled by default once a new OpenGL conformance test suite (CTS) release happens to fix broken tests in this mode.
            I'm pretty sure that was a joke. It's the Zink code that will need fixes, not the test suite.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
              These kind of optimizations enable so many new apps. Imagine how much old good apps we can now write in inefficient web programming languages by IQ 80 morons using React and Electron.
              Talk about thé IQ 50 morons who won't pay for anything better than what a student can puke for them…

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post

I'm pretty sure that was a joke. It's the Zink code that will need fixes, not the test suite.
                nope, CTS is indeed what needs fixes, he has stated it works well in games too

Comment

Somewhat off-topic, but this versioning scheme where software like Mesa and XWayald by the year is really interesting. I think I'm a big fan, though my brain likes to say "24.1 was the explicit sync patch. Oh wait, was that for XWayland or Mesa??"

I think that latter confusion is a me-problem and I can just adapt. A really cool thing is that the year-versioning leaves no room for doubt when you wonder what major version you're running on. If you're on Mesa 24.1 in the year 2028, you know you are quite behind.

The only minor catch I see is that it may be less obvious where a major change or improvement lands (for example, comparing Plasma 5.27, a major change over its predecessor, vs Plasma 6.0, an extremely major change over its predecessor).

Comment

Originally posted by Shnatsel View Post

Not necessarily. You'd be surprised how often I've revealed broken edge-case behaviour in test cases while refactoring my creations into a shape that they've never been in before. Test code is still code and can have bugs like any other code.

Not all projects are like the C standard's "It doesn't matter how broken our compiler is. It's a feature, not a bug, so write that in the spec." and I'd hope that this is a case of "Y'know... you're right. The CTS isn't accurately representing the spec" since that'd mean more room for spec-compliant performance improvements.
                    Last edited by ssokolow; 13 April 2024, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X