Archinstall 2.8 Further Refines The Easy Arch Linux Installation Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archinstall 2.8 Further Refines The Easy Arch Linux Installation Experience

Phoronix: Archinstall 2.8 Further Refines The Easy Arch Linux Installation Experience

Archinstall 2.8 is out today as the latest update to this easy-to-use, text-based Arch Linux installer that makes it much faster deploying this popular Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm, still unusable for anything but a standard installation. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
      You install Arch Linux manually by using its wiki pages (installation guide). That's the standard install method.

Comment

Originally posted by Modu View Post

You install Arch Linux manually by using its wiki pages (installation guide). That's the standard install method.
        Hello captain obvious, nice revelation there!

Comment

Such as?

Comment

Originally posted by xnor View Post
            Such as?
            Doing manual partitioning and encryption or installing special packages (tested with 2.7 but no mentioning in the change log).

Comment

Doing manual partitioning and encryption or installing special packages (tested with 2.7 but no mentioning in the change log).
              I think that's because of how many ways there are to do encryption. Is everything going to be in a LUKS container? Will it be using LVM volumes with LUKS as necessary? Will it be using a file system and the file system's encryption tools? Will it be doing a combination of those?

I'm not sure what you mean by special packages. Like building from the AUR or installing something from a 3rd party repo? As a ZFS user, that's always been my issue with archinstall.

Comment

That's the point of the install script. It makes easier for people who come in and want to do a simple standard installation. If you really have special needs, then such a tool shouldn't automate or do it for you without understanding what is happening. I think the install script with this narrow focus is inline with the values of Archlinux. At least this is how I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I think that's because of how many ways there are to do encryption. Is everything going to be in a LUKS container? Will it be using LVM volumes with LUKS as necessary? Will it be using a file system and the file system's encryption tools? Will it be doing a combination of those?
                  Still, there could be 1-2 basic scenarios offered. It's a real PITA to do it manually (doing such things manually is not some badass linuxmasterrace thing, but an annoyance).

Comment

I've used the archinstall scripts a few times already. Worked well enough for a quick and easy installation, good enough from what I was looking to do. I have also done countless "manual" installations over the years, so can do that - archinstall just happened to be good enough for what I needed in these cases. Quick and easy vs. working through all the Wiki steps, which have changed over the years. The later is fine if you need that level of a custom install, but the script worked fine for me and was quite pleasant.

Speaking of pleasant script installers (well, script bootstraps other scripts and tools), I just did an Asahi Linux installation on an M1 MacBook Pro laptop I had access to just try out. The Asahi team has really put some attention to detail in what they are doing. Side note, but wanted to mention.

Comment

Working...
                    X