Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servo Driving Modularity To Support Different JavaScript Engines

Phoronix: Servo Eyes Enhancing Modularity For Different JavaScript Engines

The Rust-based Servo web layout engine started by Mozilla that is now stewarded by the Linux Foundation and worked on by several different organizations is eyeing modularity support for its JavaScript integration. Currently Servo is closely tied to Mozilla's SpiderMonkey JavaScript engine but with a modularity push could see other options supported...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder if this could be used as a guide on how to port V8 to Firefox.
    I'm not saying it should be done. But it is *interesting* how this small non-profit tries to compete with the biggest players, while all others gave up on their own development... I can totally see them switching to V8 or Blink or both for financial reasons...

Comment

What about making a JavaScript engine in Rust too? JavaScript is often the cause of many security issues....

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
        What about making a JavaScript engine in Rust too? JavaScript is often the cause of many security issues....
        There actually is a couple routes forward here. In the past boa was asked about. It's still very immature as a project https://github.com/boa-dev/boa but it could possibly be something that could be used.

Comment

It's probably too late for Steam to replace the internal browser and UI engine of Steam from Chromium to Servo.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            There actually is a couple routes forward here. In the past boa was asked about. It's still very immature as a project https://github.com/boa-dev/boa but it could possibly be something that could be used.
            I have high hopes for Boa. Its ECMAScript conformance is already comparable to V8 and Spidermonkey. Its performance is another story, but the devs haven't started focusing on that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
              I just learned about this one, https://boajs.dev/, that someone pointed out in their tweet about this blog post.. I wouldn't expect any short term efforts, seems like an interesting project to follow...

edit: Oh, Quackdoc was faster

Comment

Here i was thinking that they would do their own js engine.
                Because it's kinda expected, as it is the critical part.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
                  It's probably too late for Steam to replace the internal browser and UI engine of Steam from Chromium to Servo.
                  I wouldnt say it's too late, it's not viable yet, but not too late.​

Originally posted by moltonel View Post

I have high hopes for Boa. Its ECMAScript conformance is already comparable to V8 and Spidermonkey. Its performance is another story, but the devs haven't started focusing on that yet.
                  I am sitting more or less in the exact same spot regarding this

Comment

This is probably a stupid question, but why does a layout engine need to integrate with a JS engine in the first place? I know there's Ajax, but even that is just a collection of events.

Comment

Working...
                    X