Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa 24.1 Now Supports Vulkan Explicit Synchronization On X11

Phoronix: Mesa 24.1 Now Supports Vulkan Explicit Synchronization On X11

At the start of April Mesa 24.1 saw Vulkan explicit sync support for Wayland implemented. Now hitting Mesa 24.1-devel today is Vulkan explicit sync support for X11/X.Org...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Erik did a nice job with all those patches.

Comment

Really appreciate how much effort is put into all of this!

There's some bits left for Wlroots/Sway

Comment

So much for XOrg being dead and receiving no updates meanwhile wayland is still as useless as it was 16 years ago

Comment

Ok i am a bit confused, what is explicit sync? cuz the way i understood it, explicit sync on wayland was there so u could turn vsync off, for the first time in wayland history, cuz some absolute low iq jackasses designed the damn thing.

What does this bring us on x11?

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            Ok i am a bit confused, what is explicit sync? cuz the way i understood it, explicit sync on wayland was there so u could turn vsync off, for the first time in wayland history, cuz some absolute low iq jackasses designed the damn thing.

What does this bring us on x11?
            Read this : https://zamundaaa.github.io/wayland/...icit-sync.html

Explicit sync has nothing to do with VSync, explicit sync allows an application to tell the driver it's done rendering and sync everything. Every platform other than Wayland and X11 has had explicit sync for years, and the Vulkan graphics API was designed around it. The only visible improvement will be for Wayland users because Nvidia's driver does not support *implicit* sync, which causes frames to go out of order and other weird glitches all over the place.

V-Sync is when the GPU only starts drawing a new frame after the one already being drawn is completed, avoiding ugly tearing artefacts, at the cost of some latency (hence why games will never perform as good as on X11, unless the Wayland compositor you're using supports direct scanout, which means the game just skips the compositor and displays directly to the screen. I don't think KWin supports direct scanout, but Mutter does.)

Comment

Originally posted by mxan View Post
              So much for XOrg being dead and receiving no updates
              This is not patch for X.Org but for Mesa and it is based on previous work for Wayland. Due to Mesa architecture much of that work is shared, this patch is something like 200 lines of code. Yeah, so much for "X.Org is not dead and it's still getting new features".

meanwhile wayland is still as useless as it was 16 years ago
              That's nothing, X11 is over 30 years old and it's still useless for some setups. In fact it is broken to the point that it couldn't even be fixed and required brand new protocol.

Comment

I was so looking forward to the new nvidia driver to support xwayland explicit sync coming out on April 15th and it's not supposed to come out until May 15th

Comment

So much for XOrg being dead and receiving no updates meanwhile wayland is still as useless as it was 16 years ago
                  This comment of yours backfired I'm afraid.

This is for Xwayland. The corresponding server-side support isn't implemented for Xorg yet. (Nvidia are unlikely to work on the latter, since their drivers don't use the Present extension with Xorg. Presumably they use some private protocol extension for the same purpose)

And Wayland works fine with implicit sync, just the nvidia driver doesn't support that correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                    This is for Xwayland. .
                    A quick clarification in case mxan misunderstands: this change is for mesa, however, only XWayland will be using it (since it is a Wayland client).

Comment

Working...
                    X