Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Announces Ryzen PRO 8840 & PRO 8000G Series CPUs

Phoronix: AMD Announces Ryzen PRO 8840 & PRO 8000G Series CPUs

Following the launch of the Ryzen 8000G series processors earlier this year as well as the Ryzen 8840 series mobile processors, AMD has now announced the associated "PRO" parts for business customers.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I had a 4650G Pro in my desktop and was happy enough with it while I was using it. It's currently collecting dust on its old motherboard with 32GB DDR4 3800 attached. I only ever used the graphics part for light desktop work and 32-bit console and earlier emulation in between when my RX 580 died and I upgraded to a 6700 XT. The iGPU was great for that and this one outta be better than what the Steam Deck has. It's kind of amazing that APUs are pulling off the PS4/PS4-Pro levels of graphics that we were all wishing they'd be able to do back during the Kavari and Raven Ridge eras....and they're doing it in handhelds.

I can't help but notice that the font kerning in those slides is just awful making it so that things appear both doubled up and spaced apart. What got me to really notice was the AMD Pro Security slide on the 2nd page of the article. I thought that "FIPS" was written as "FPS" and that "Stack Protection" was "StackProtection" which is what got me to notice that "Hardw are" may or may not be a typo since there's also "proces sors" in the first page, 2nd slide's asterisk note.

Before posting I checked these images at other news outlets and the kerning is just as bad at other places, too, but the Phoronix image compression settings just happen to exacerbate it and make it more noticeable. Compare the Phoronix IMAGE to the Videocardz.com IMAGE and you'll see the FIPS/FPS caused by Phoronix's settings. Note that the kerning it god awful in the Videocards.com image, too. Especially the Microsoft Pluton stuff in fine print at the bottom. It's very bad. That's AMD's fault.

Comment

Has Wifi 7 been finalised yet?

Comment

*facepalms* Yeah. And I _just_ ordered a 5650 Pro APU.
        Anyway, the 5650G Pro should have fairly good idle consumption (at least from what I read about the regular versions), sadly the GE variant is really rare. And the price was very fair (roughly 160 Euros/USD). Well, and while it has a pesky PSP it won't have this nasty Pluton chip from Microsoft. :-) One must focus on the good sides.

PS: And I don't need any "remote" crap. ECC is all that is good.
        Last edited by Adarion; 16 April 2024, 01:40 PM.
        Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
          *facepalms* Yeah. And I _just_ ordered a 5650 Pro APU.
          Anyway, the 5650G Pro should have fairly good idle consumption (at least from what I read about the regular versions), sadly the GE variant is really rare. And the price was very fair (roughly 160 Euros/USD). Well, and while it has a pesky PSP it won't have this nasty Pluton chip from Microsoft. :-) One must focus on the good sides.

PS: And I don't need any "remote" crap. ECC is all that is good.
          I bought my old Pro for ECC support and when it came time to by RAM it was the middle of the pandemic meaning ECC prices were sky high and I ended up with regular RAM ....

Comment

Typo;

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
            The AMD Ryzen PRO processor benefits continue to revolve around security and manageablability benefits for businesses.

Comment

I'm looking forward to System76 using one of these chips.

I just looked at their latest AMD laptop. Pangolin with a 7840U and see they went from 144hz to 60hz. Wondering what's up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                I had a 4650G Pro in my desktop and was happy enough with it while I was using it. It's currently collecting dust on its old motherboard with 32GB DDR4 3800 attached. I only ever used the graphics part for light desktop work and 32-bit console and earlier emulation in between when my RX 580 died and I upgraded to a 6700 XT.
                How did your 580 die? My 480 died not that long ago, my area had record high temps and I ran HL2 in uncapped fps mode for too long, my VRM blew. Left a big burn on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jabberwocky View Post

How did your 580 die? My 480 died not that long ago, my area had record high temps and I ran HL2 in uncapped fps mode for too long, my VRM blew. Left a big burn on it.
                  A combination of the GPU running hot and me not realizing how bad the airflow in my case actually was. I even bios modded my 580 with a lowered voltage table just to keep the temps down and it worked damn well for 4 years (games went from crashing consistently to running for hours).

If I'd have realized my case fans weren't adequate enough it might have prolonged the inevitable. It wasn't until I upgraded to the 6700 XT that I increased the number of case fans from 1 intake, 1 exhaust to 3 intake, 2 exhaust because it was so much bigger than the 580.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    [4650G]'s currently collecting dust on its old motherboard with 32GB DDR4 3800 attached.
                    Any interest in flipping it? :P

Seriously though, for some weird reason I can't help but notice that older G-series Ryzen pro parts have almost doubled in price on ebay in the last year-ish? I figured it'd be my next step after the Phenom II in budget consumer ECC parts with an iGPU that aren't Atom derivatives or the like, but this weird price-creep has me baffled when non-pro parts are as cheap as ever.

I figure Zen4 with its iGPU by default will eventually win this category, but the whole Pluton thing just irks me the wrong way when the only Windows PC I have left is a Win7 PC with failing hardware earmarked for a Linux replacement any week now (just sorting through some compatibility issues on the replacement PC).

Comment

Working...
                    X